Hi New here and wanting to move to spain please help
Posted: 11 January 2011 10:51 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-11

Hi :lol:
Me and my husband and 19 year old son would like to move to spain i am a bit confused as what to do can we just move or do we need some sort of visa to move and stay permanently.What would be a good part of spain to move i now alot of people will have there own opinion we dont want to move anywhere really expensive to live but somewhere thats not to quiet but family orientated and friendly towards the english would be good.Many thanks look forward from hearing from you all. 😊

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Ange,

Number of questions here!

1. Do you need a Visa - depends where you are coming from. If outside EU, then check with Spanish Consulate in your own Country. If from UK, then no.

2. Cost of living, has gone up in recent times and now is not as cheap as it was a few years ago.

3. Do you need to work, then that will not be easy as the unemployment rate in Spain is around 20%

4. Do you speak Spanish, if not, then it will be even harder to find work never mind well paid work. If you are thinking about moving, then start NOW to learn Spanish as the more you know, the better it will be and easier to get yourself settled.

5. Cost of housing, the closer to the sea, the higher the price is a good measure. If you move inland about 10 miles, then you could save 25% on the cost of a house. Transport will not be as plentiful, in some places there may be a bus twice a day each way to the large towns, but there will be local shops etc were you can buy most of the essentials.

6. Most of Spain is friendly to the English as there are a good number of them there, but you need to try and integrate and do not live in an English getto. The Spanish like you to try and speak their language and if you make a mistake most will help you. Our local shop has a Spanish/English dictionary under the counter, so if you try and can not get it sorted, they will bring out “the book”.

It is a difficult thing to make the move away from friends and family, but it is a big world out there with many good people and providing you are willing to work hard, learn the language and be conscious of the local traditions,and know before you go it will be hard and you are NOT on holiday, then you could make it work.

Good luck.

Dave

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com