MOVING TO SPAIN FOR NEW LIFE. HELP PLEASE
Posted: 28 April 2011 06:33 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-04-28

Hello folks, my name is Mark and I am new to this site. My wife and I have had a bad year here in Scotland and we have been talking about moving to Spain for years. Our kids are grown and we think it is the right time to do so. I would sell my home and rent in Spain. We would have some money behind us and a income of around 300 euro’s per week from my son back home. We were thinking of putting enough money in the bank for rent for 3 years and living of the income. This should give us some savings for emergency or visiting family back home. I have looked at rental prices and have done my sums and cant see any reason why it would not work.
I am by nature a man who can do most things and dont think I will find it hard to seek out employment in Bars, Cafe’s or driving.
Can anyone give me any advise or suggest things I might be overlooking. We plan to go to the Valencia region between Alicante and Valencia but inland a bit. Dont speak Spanish but am taking lessons.
Also taking three dogs. Any problems ??????
All and any advise would be great.

Posted: 28 April 2011 07:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Welcome , Mark Scotsman to the forum ,

uk , ireland , think lot are most are all having a bad time ....

During the last four decades the Spanish tourism industry has grown to become the second biggest in the world , With Irishs and Uk topping the on the leage of holiday makers , but this has drop in last 3 year due two 2008/2009 the credit crunch and world recession . forecast for unemployment rate would rise to 16% in 2009 , but lot highter . more like 22 %  = less tourism less jobs ... even the spanish are not spending like thay did . please think hard befor comeing here ... it not what you see on the tv .... “Eldorado” link is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldorado_(soap_opera) (that bbc show ... god how unreal ws that )

thinks are hard .... and lot expats have move back to uk as there no work .... no money .

I am be truful about whats happen here in Spain

Posted: 28 April 2011 08:00 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

Thanks for the comments but I have been to Spain sixteen times and would not expect it to be a holiday. I can take my time to find something to do but as I said I will have a income every week so no rush. Part time would do me. It is just the sun and chilled life that I am looking for. When you say lots of ex pats are going back to UK is it for work or is it because they cant adapt.??????????????????????

Posted: 28 April 2011 08:21 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-06-06

Hi mark,
I have been in Spain now for 6 years, retired here on a private pension. I also live inland in Granada province. The problem inland is that there is less work than on the coast, although normaly it is cheaper to live, for example here in Granada we still get free tapas with drinks, which are all pretty much a euro(wine & beer). The other consideration is fuel, its getting more expensive here too, when we moved over 78cents a litre, now 1.34euro, so if you live inland but work on the coast, it could eat into your earnings. I think the life style inland is probably more relaxed, but its a balancing act, property would be cheaper to rent too. With regard to your dogs, it is law here that all dogs must be chipped, (not that the locals bother!!!) apart from that no problems, vets here are good enough, and you can get pet insurance. Talking of which, health cover. You will be covered by UK for 2 years when you arrive, after that your on your own, unless you are of pensionable age, then you can be covered. There are lots of info on this site and others regarding that. The only other thing to mention is exchange rate, when we moved we were getting 1.46e to the pound, now its about 1.12/13, so that will hit you, as it has hit us, nearly a third of pension lost in exchange rates, so when you transfer funds, just somthing else to factor into your sums!!! Good luck, hope you find your dream, but its not always a bed of roses, like everything else you have to work at it.

Posted: 28 April 2011 09:41 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-28

That was a good reply and it is what I have already painted a picture of in my head. I think 300 euros a week for living expenses and money put aside for at least three years for rent and bills. It should stand well until I get work. I would be prepared to work on farms or even Taxi driving which I have been told is a decent earner. I am not coming there thinking it will be paradise without problems but it cant be worse than here.
A bad day in the sun must be better than a good day in the rain???? lol

Is there anything which suprised you or shocked you when you moved?

Posted: 28 April 2011 09:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Hi Mark, instead of selling your house, could you not rent it out? This would give you a further source of income and something to fall back on if it doesn’t work out over here. 300? per week would be enough to survive here but not to live comfortably, don’t forget that somewhere or other, you’ll have to pay income tax on that 300?. If you don’t speak Spanish you’ll be limited for employment, I’d suggest that those bars looking for staff would tend to go for youngsters. I’ve no idea how much they pay in hospitality trade on the costas, but where I am it’s about 800? a month all clear if you are lucky, many aren’t paying social security or only paying 50% legal and the hours are long. If you could rent your home furnished for a year and rent furnished here, then you’d be able to see if your plans are viable without losing your biggest asset.

When I moved here (Galicia) 10 years ago I had worked here a few years beforehand so knew the city, had friends etc. I was surprised at how difficult it it to find a job outside of giving English lessons. I was surprised at how many highly educated people were unemployed. Since then I’ve been surprised at the steep rise in the cost of living since the introduction of the euro. Once I moved here permanently I must admit that I was surprised at my vulnerability and reliance on friends until I had learned enough Spanish to get by. My friends are all Spanish, in that period they were either ex workmates or close friends that I made whist working here. Some acquaintances and friends I have now, Brits and Irish who didn’t have the support group that I had have found things alot harder than I. Some have returned to the UK, others have been OK here, but I’d say that none has found things as simple or relaxed as they thought it would be.

Posted: 28 April 2011 09:54 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-06-06

Hi Mark,
No not really, the biggest hurdle to get over is the bureaucracy when it comes to dealing with big companies, i.e. telefonica/sevilliana(electric) they just don’t care!! For example 2 years ago about 25 households each paid 2000 euro for electricity to be connected on a main road near here, all the pylons are up and connected, but not the houses!!! so wheres the money?? But if your renting, that shouldn’t affect you too much. One piece of advice i had which is still true today, if you are dealing with authority, i.e. town halls, don’t make 2 appointments for the same day, cos you won’t make the second one!!! Enjoy!

‹‹ spending six months in Spain      MY DOGS ››