I want to bring my Harley to Spain
Posted: 04 February 2007 12:00 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-03

Hi my name is Pico and I will be moving to Spain form Canada in October 07 to Sax, Alicante.
I own a Harley Davidson and I want to bring it into Spain. Is there anybody who can give me information regarding MOT. I want to make sure I dont get there and I am told that it is not alowed into the country.

Thanks

Posted: 04 February 2007 08:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-04

Hi Pico, I brought my year old Sportster to Spain in October 2005. I think it was supposed to be re-registerd with Spanish plates within 6 months. I did not primarily becaue a gestor advised me that it would cost ?1400 to change.  I kept it for another 6 months and sold it to a Brit in Gibraltar.

Most enjoyable place to have a Harley but might be better to sell it and buy one over here. They are more expensive but you will save on shipping costs.

Posted: 05 February 2007 01:09 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-02-03

Thaks RayJ, what is a gestor…??? Plus I like my Harley and I am shipping all my furnitures and tools so putting the Harley in the container does not cost a whole lot more.
Do you know of any Harley shop around Alicante ...???

Thank

Posted: 05 February 2007 01:46 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-04

A Gestor is a sort of lawyer, they take some of the strain of living in a bureaucracy for a fee. Apparently when you get Spanish plates you have to pay the duty on the same basis as if you had bought the vehicle in Spain. Hence the heavy fee.  If your bike is oldish it may not present a problem.
I live on the Costa del Sol so dont personally know dealers in Alicante. 

By the way I find Spanish drivers unpredictable at best take great care!

Posted: 05 February 2007 03:18 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-02-03

Thank you for the information… I live in Toronto Canada and here they dont even know that motorcycle exist so as far as taking a chance, well life is a chance and I would not give up riding, specialy in a country like Spain… I will be able to ride all year long…Yahoooooooo…

Thanks again