tourist visa
Posted: 27 April 2009 09:49 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-27

Hi

I’m asking this under the assumption that there are no stupid questions, just stupid people (and I’m ok with the fact that I might be one of them!  😝 ).  I am planning to go to Spain to wwoof this summer (volunteer on an organic farm).  I understand that as a citizen of the United States I am allowed to be in Spain for 3 months without obtaining any kind of work or residency permit.  I wanted to stay longer than that and was planning on just hopping over the border at the end of three months, getting my passport stamped in France, and then coming back for another 3 months.  Then recently I found out that a United States resident can only be in Spain for 3 out of 6 months (i.e. at the end of 3 months one has to leave the country for a full 3 months before they can return), thus putting and end to that plan.  For a few minutes.  Until I decided to ask if anyone here could tell me just what are the penalties for overstaying your tourist visa?  Do they really look at the date you entered when you leave?  If I show up with a return ticket leaving from Madrid dated 5 or 6 months away, and tell them that I’ll only be in the country for a while and then I’m going to travel around and then leave out of Madrid will they send me home?  Secondly, Does anybody know: If I were to leave Spain after 3 months and go to Italy for 3 months, then come back to Spain, would Italy let me in and would Spain let me back in?  If someone could clue me in I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks,
AG

Posted: 27 April 2009 03:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

3 Months is all your going to get Visa/Permit wise…

La Crisis In Spain is so bad with lots of people (4.2 Million) out of work and by Sept It be near 5 million

Spanish Government are making Imigration Tighter.. So in other words Less permits/visas for outside EU Citizens..

Mac.

Posted: 27 April 2009 05:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

you got 90 days to come and go ..... Eu are clampping down in visa here as is Spain as france , but many get way with the Schengen Agreement . if you doing volunteer work , why not ask for volunteer working visa , and the if any think happen you be covered by you insurance ......

Posted: 27 April 2009 10:41 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-27

I have called my spanish consulate and asked if there was such a thing as a volunteer working visa and the gentleman I spoke with didn’t seem to think there was.  Is there such a thing?  I would totally try to get one if there is.

Posted: 27 April 2009 10:45 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

I was saying to Jurdy Earlier… That The Loop holes are closing even the Volunteer Visas..

Your best bet is to ride out your 3 months here in Spain and to be honest You wont be the only one in Spain if your Visa Runs Out. and you decided to stay!

You can always apply for an extension to your 3 months before its expired…

Mac