non-EU national with permanent EU residency moving from the Netherlands to Spain?
Posted: 13 May 2009 02:48 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-13

Hello,

This is perhaps a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone reading the forums here has had any experience with or any information about the status of non-EU members with permanent EU residency moving from another EU country to Spain?  The permanent EU residency I am referring to is specifically what is covered under EU directive 2003/109/EC. 

A bit of background- US citizen, have lived in the Netherlands for 10 years and have a Dutch permanent residence card which is also stamped as an EU permanent residence card, which in theory allows to me transfer right to residency and right to work to any other EU country (excepting Denmark, Ireland, and the United Kingdom who have opted out of this agreement).  Basically an exchange of my Dutch residency for Spanish residency.  In practice however I cannot seem to find much information regarding how Spain has implemented this directive or if they even have- though the “official” EU deadline was 23/01/2006, I know most member states, including the Netherlands, were late in doing so. 

I am fully aware of the rather dire economic situation in Spain at the moment, but in my case I would have job already, in that I would do exactly what I do now but from my employer’s Madrid (or potentially Barcelona) office, and from home.  If it matters I am also a fluent Spanish speaker (lived in Spain as a student in ‘95 and ‘96).

Many thanks for reading this far! Would love to hear back from anyone who might have any information about this as I am struggling to find much out there.  Agradezco cualquier respuesta en ingles o espa?ol, gracias en adelante y saludos a todos del foro.

Junior020

Posted: 14 May 2009 03:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Never heard of this! Interesting question - suggest you research here:

http://extranjeros.mtin.es/es/InformacionInteres/FolletosInformativos/index.html

keep us posted.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/