Question about working in Summer Camps
Posted: 17 March 2007 03:37 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-15

Hi there,

I was wondering if somebody could answer my query. Do English teachers in summer camps get paid or do they just get free accomodation and meals? I want to work in a summer camp this summer, but I would prefer to find my own place to live and get paid for working in the camp, obviously just enough to keep me ticking over!! Is that the way it works?

Also, is it necessary to have a TEFL qualification? I am already fluent in Spanish as I have studied for a year in Salamanca and am in my final year of a BA in applied languages. As well as this I have a lot of experience working with children. Will I still have a chance of getting a job?

Does anybody have any other advice on job hunting for summer camps?

Thank you,
Louise

Posted: 05 April 2007 02:37 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-03-29

Hello there,
It depends where you work but you always get paid and usually get free food and digs. I was at a summer camp last year and we had three meals a day, a hotel style room and were paid about 1500Euro per month.
Regarding the TEFL certificate, if you were to apply for a job teaching business people at an acadamy, then yes you would need one ( 95% of the time. ) But teaching kids at a summer camp is a whole other ball game; it’ts not really about teaching so much but rather baby sitting while their parents have a break for a week or so. So no, I would say you could get a job at one with what you have already.