Rights
Posted: 24 July 2006 04:46 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-07-24

Hello

I have had a good read over the forums and have read all the general information but couldn’t really find too much on the following: I was wondering exactly how it would work if… I am South African and I am married to a British citizen and we have a child. We want to come and live in Barcelona and I was wanting to know the following: so he can come and work as he is British right? and becuase I am married to him, I can come and live but not work right? I would need to go through the channels of applying for a work permit, or starting my own business? I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light here. Thanks 😊

Posted: 27 July 2006 10:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-07-27

Hmm well I am a British Citizen. I just got my Residency. My wife who is a Non - EU citizen will be getting her residency through within 3 weeks. I have been advised that with this Residency she will be able to work no problems. Its issued under the ‘Family Regrouping’ visa law , which allows a spouse/family to obtain residency through their relationship with the Spanish Resident.

Posted: 27 July 2006 10:35 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24

Thank you for this. That is good news to hear. I take it was not difficult neither took very long for you to get your Residency? Good luck

Posted: 27 July 2006 10:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-27

It was actually quite fast. I applied on May 3rd and it was approved on June 13th. Due to me not getting my letter I only found out about it when the bank called to say that my non-residents account was being closed because I was a resident ! They gave me 2 days notice. Anyway I quickly filled in the form and paid my 6.35 to pick up my card. My wifes and child should have been ready at the same time but it wasnt. They said if I dont get a letter in the next few weeks to go back on Aug 18th to pick them up.

As an EU Citizen my card is valid for 5 years. Not sure how long my wifes will be valid for.

Posted: 01 August 2006 01:48 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24

Thanks thecraw,
Can you apply for this residency outside of Spain as we are currently living in SA. Do you know if we can just go to an Embassy here and apply for it, or do we have to be in Spain… or UK? What nationality is your wife? Do you both speak Spanish? Are you finding work easily enough?

Posted: 04 August 2006 12:04 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-27

OK, well I dont believe you can apply for Spanish residency in another country. You need to go to a designated Police Station in Spain. My wife is Australian. Neither of us speak Spanish. I was relocated to Spain for work and I had a company looking after my residency paperwork. I have to say I would have struggled without them. Its definetly worthwhile paying someone to run you through the process. Even contacting a relocation company and asking for their prices on assistance with just a residency application. It may be some money up front however in my opinion it would be money well spent, as once you are over the hurdle of your residency its significantly easier to get by in Spain.

Posted: 04 August 2006 12:27 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-24

Thanks, sounds much like South Africa really. So I am assuming, by what you are saying, that we can go over to Spain and legally stay there and apply for our Residency whilst there, but we cannot work until we have the papers nor have any right? Sorry, it’s all abit confusing to me really. So until we get our residency papers, they just see us as visitors? Would it be possible in that case to rent a flat, or apply for a phone/ internet line? Ta

Posted: 04 August 2006 07:25 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-27

Hmm starting to get into the specifics with that question and I am not sure of the ‘correct’ answer but I will say this.

As a British Citizen your husband can work straight away. As a spouse of a British Citizen I ‘think’ you need to wait until you have your NIE Number (Residency).

As a non-resident (even if your husband is a British Citizen)  ie prior to getting your NIE number, you can open a non-resident bank account which gives you the ability to create direct debits. and is required for you to be able to take out a lease.

For leasing its really up to the owner /real estate / lawyer as to what they require of you. I can say that if you have not been sponsored into the country by a Spanish Company for work then expect to have to submit a bank guarantee of up to 12mths to secure a flat (in Madrid anyway) They also require your bank account details for setting up direct debit for utilities, phone etc.

So basically the 2 priorities are

1/ Submit Application for Residency
2/ Open Non-Resident Bank Account

One thing I do not know is how you go with the Residency Application without a job offer or letter from Spanish Company as this wasnt my situation.

Posted: 18 August 2006 01:10 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-08-18

hi all,
same situation here,
i am austrian, my wife american.
we’re planing to move to barcelona.

sounds good news that my wife can work right away.

thanks thecraw,