Married American Couple Moving to Spain!
Posted: 25 July 2006 08:42 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-07-25

Hi all,

Very glad I found this site.  Currently my wife and I live in London where I am completing a masters degree in architecture.  I was awarded a scholarship from an American institution that I will be using for another masters in Spain, more specifically at the IAAC in Barcelona.  Wanted to say hi and say that the information on this site has been helpful to get our visa/moving process started.  I have some other general questions, so I don’t know if this is the right place to post this.

The process to get a visa for the UK was not too tough . . . essentially get a bunch of documents together and send them to LA, wait a while, and then the visa comes back in your passport.  Since we are married, my wife can work 40 hrs/week and me 20 hrs/week (thought I hardly find the time with school).  Does anyone know what is allowed as far as working goes if the spouse is a student dependent in Spain?  Will my wife be allowed to work?  Will I?

It already seems the Spanish visa will be a more difficult process with the visits needed to the local consulate in your state.  Any additional information regarding how a married student and his spouse can get a visa will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Posted: 26 July 2006 02:54 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Wiseof,

Welcome to the forum!

I think the information you’re looking for would be found on Spain Expat’s work visas for spain page. If not, and more pertinant to student visas, would be to check out the site’s general visa page.

I hope that helps clarify things, if not let us know.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 27 July 2006 03:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-07-25

Depending on where one is coming from, some of their documents (mostly school related, diplomas, etc) will need to be authenticated with an Apostille / Sello de La Haya in the person’s home state/country.  For example, I did my undergraduate in Colorado, therefore I will need to seek authentication of my diploma from a government body in Colorado.  Has anyone dealt with this before?  Is it just for diplomas, or do all documents need to be officiated like this?

Posted: 22 August 2006 08:16 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-07-11

I had to get the Apostille for my undergrad diploma when I applied to grad school here. It was just a formality and fairly quick, but a bit of a pain because it had to be my actual, huge, scrolled diploma which was buried in my parents’ attic, and not just official transcripts from the school. Once the diploma was unearthed it was just a quick errand my parents did for me that took one day. I don’t know what other situations might require this kind of thing- I’ve been living here for a while and it’s never come up again, thankfully.

Signature 

Melissa
http://www.babyrockenglish.com
Music and movement workshops for children ages 0-4 and parents in Barcelona