Transitioning from Student to Worker?
Posted: 13 February 2011 09:41 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-13

Hello all!

I’ve been living in Spain for about three and a half years now, and I’ve had a valid tarjeta de estudiante the entire time.  I graduate from university in May, and I’m very anxious about finding work so that I can stay in Spain.

My friends have already warned me of the famous problem of needing permission to work before you can apply for work, and needing to have been accepted for a position before getting permission to work.

Should I start trying to apply for a work permit now?  Is there an easy way to transition from being a 3 year legal resident as a student into being legally permitted to work?  Do I still need the criminal background check when I already had one done to get my student visa (albeit 3 years ago)? 

I’ve read lots of guides on getting a work permit, but they all assume that you are not already a resident of Spain, so I feel very lost and frightened about my future here!

Thanks for your time!

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

almansa,
take a look at this
http://extranjeros.mtin.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/documentos/35_Modificacixn_de_estancia_por_estudios_a_residencia_y_trabajo_cuenta_ajena.pdf

Posted: 18 February 2011 09:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-13

Thanks!  I still have some questions though:

1. Do I need to get a criminal background check again if I had one to get my visa 3.5 years ago?
2. Should I try to start applying for this now before applying for jobs?  (IE, how do I get around the catch-22 of Spanish employment?)

Posted: 19 February 2011 02:06 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30
Almansa - 18 February 2011 09:47 PM

Thanks!  I still have some questions though:

1. Do I need to get a criminal background check again if I had one to get my visa 3.5 years ago?

the one you had before was to certify you did not have a criminal record before you got your student visa.
criminal background certificates expire after 3 months.  so you need one to certify you do not have a criminal record up to now.

2. Should I try to start applying for this now before applying for jobs?  (IE, how do I get around the catch-22 of Spanish employment?)

one of the requirements is a job offer.
http://extranjeros.mtin.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/documentos/35_Modificacixn_de_estancia_por_estudios_a_residencia_y_trabajo_cuenta_ajena.pdf
at least you can be hired for any job so long as the employer meets the requirement.

Posted: 01 April 2011 02:47 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-02-13

Thanks for all the help.  I’ve been to several interviews now, and I’ve been mainly told “we like your CV but we can’t offer you anything without permiso.”  Ah well.  Is it true that if I’ve been empadronada for three years I will automatically be able to work, or is that just a rumor?

Posted: 02 April 2011 05:47 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30

Thanks for all the help.  I’ve been to several interviews now, and I’ve been mainly told “we like your CV but we can’t offer you anything without permiso.”

true

Ah well.  Is it true that if I’ve been empadronada for three years I will automatically be able to work

not automatically, you have to look for an employer who meets the requirements and who is willing to go thru paperwork.
try somebody who can qualifiy to hire you as domestic helper.  it is a stepping stone. have you read the links i posted?