Technical question re landline/ADSL etc…
Posted: 16 January 2012 07:01 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi, We are moving house soon and I have just phoned Telefonica/Movistar to see about a new landline (there has not been one there before) and ADSL service.
They have said they can do LL no worries, but there may be a problem with ADSL as there is ‘No coverage’.
It all got a bit complicated and I gave up, only that someone will phone me later with some kind of answer?

In the meantime, I was speaking to a cheaper call provider who started to tell me that although the landline can be connected from the local exchange, if the house is more than 1500 metres away, there will be a poor/no possibility of ADSL through the line and Telefonica will have to install a wi fi system.  But from my last conv with Telefonica, they were not even promising this.  Only a ‘Radio phone’.. and I know from other people these are not very reliable.

Can any teccies please confirm about the set up and if I have got the right end of the stick.

If it it going to be this complicated with Telefonica/we have to mess about with different equipment, we would prefer to stay with one of our current providers (although more expensive), with the single dish/antenna system we use for phone and internet.

Just want to rule out possibilities first before spending money on new installs! 

Ta 😊

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:43 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Susan…

What T’fonica and your alternate supplier have said is, unfortunately very true. The ADSL signals are routed via the telephone line at very low voltage levels using very thin copper wire. We live about 100 meters from the village distribution centre and cannot get a decent signal these days.

Life out here in the boonies is very hard on ADSL availability and even in the more populous areas with the higher number of customers demanding access via gaming machines like PS2/PS3/XBox, the existing infrastructure is saturated to the point that even if you can have ADSL its CRAP.

Basically T’fonica don’t give a sh*t. It’s no use either going to Jazztel or similar companies because they use the same crappy T’Fonica infrastructure, piggybacking their signals onto the lines and thereby screwing it up even more.

Iberbanda Wifi maybe an option if you have line of sight to the nearest mast but its expensive and traffic capped.

We are currently awaiting a response from a mate of Jurdys who is introducing a satellite internet service into Spain. If the price is right we will be abandoning T’Fonica at the first available opportunity.

We have literally hundreds of blogs and websites that we cannot update because of the crap or totally non-existant upload speed and are losing about 400 bucks a month in revenue, all because of Telefonica’s attitude.

Telefonica… motto “Compartida la vida es mas….” what a bloody joke!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773