HOME INSURANCE
Posted: 16 July 2012 10:31 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

We have recently become home owners and would like to know the in’s and out’s of house/contents insurance in Spain.
We may have to use Linea Directa in the first instance (as they are holding a credit of unused car premium, which they will not give back in cash, but are likely to give towards another product… Please don’t go there - fed up of telling the story!!! 😉

Just to ask…
Does anyone have home insurance that can tell us the pro’s/con’s…
I.e Do we have to specify ‘extras’ for fire damage, or anything else for that matter…
What comes as ‘standard’.
How do they value your property (is it the cost of total rebuild if a total disaster happened.. and what would they base this on.)
Our property was purchased at a very reasonable price, but it would cost more than we paid to rebuild!
Do they include fittings such as kitchen units in buildings ins.
Would white goods/other removeable equip come under contents…

Etc, etc.

Many thanks, I am a first time home owner (anywhere!) and this is all new to me.

(I have already heard of they many sad stories of the insurance co’s refusing to pay- even when it is clear the policy holder is covered!!!)

Posted: 17 July 2012 12:18 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Susan:

Home insurance covers Building and Contents.  Usually the building is at whatever value you decide to declare it (a little higher than the actual present value). 
It is a good idea to get a few quotes from various insurers (AXA, Zurich, Royal, etc.)  This will give you a chance to read their conditions and see what is covered (tedious reading I know but it has to be done!).  Then there are add-ons, to cover extras.  White goods may not be covered, for example, unless covered by extra premium…..etc.  An example:  let’s say the cooker goes on fire, well some insurers will cover for the damage caused by the fire (to the kitchen, crockery, etc. but will NOT cover the cost of replacing the cooker itself.  A tank bursts, causing water damage.  The damage will e covered, replacing all damage, but the tank will not be covered. So, do read everything and then re-read.
Some home insurance is excellent (given that it is a competitive market) and will even provide cover for personal items lost outside the home.

Patricia

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:15 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks Patricia,
It is a minefield!  Just as in-depth as reading the car insurance policy. But it has to be done!

PS - We are being asked for the age of our property. I cannot see it anywhere.. the nota simple just says when it was registered.. Any ideas? (Town Hall. Land Registry?)  Thanks 😊

Posted: 18 July 2012 06:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Susanspain:

Yes, the insurance company will require the age of the property.  The Land Registry will have the details.  Do I understand that you have not yet received the Deeds for this property?
In any case take the Land Registry certificate short form (nota simple) to the Land Registry office for the area, and request the info.  I understand this can be done online, but I am not sure of the requirements as you may have to register as a user.

Home insurance is generally against catastrophic damage and water/fire.  A good insurance policy will also make provision for you to have accommodation elsewhere if in the awful event that your home was made inhabitable for whatever length of time due to fire, flood or storm etc.
As always, the devil is in the detail. 

All the best
Patricia

Posted: 06 August 2012 04:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2007-02-25

Hi Susanspain,

I had insurance via my Spanish Bank who provided the mortgage, but when there was a claim and the insurance company in Spain did not do what they should have done, the Bank did not want to know, they just said “we do not deal with them anymore”. I went to an English based provider and they provide the policy in English and Spanish, the staff speak both languages and you pay in pounds. They are also very competitive.

I am not allowed to mention who they are, but if you would like their details, then do please PM and I will give you the link.

Dave

Signature 

http://www.damattproperty.com
http://www.rentproperty-spain.com