GPS, Satnav
Posted: 05 November 2007 12:46 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-07-14

Does anyone have experience of using these in Spain? I’m thinking of purchasing one for use in Spain, GB and Europe but wondered how good they were in Spain? My experience in the UK was with the tomtom brand and I found this to be very good…particularly when using postcodes.

Posted: 07 November 2007 09:38 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19

We have a TomTom 710 bought from Carrefour about 4 years ago, it has been excellent and we use it constantly both in Spain and throughout the rest of Europe when we go away. We had a slight problem with an old file (emphera?) but I went onto a forum and asked for some advice, promptly got it and we were off and running! Having said all that it couldn’t find it’s own bum with 2 hands and a torch in some parts of our vilage as the mapping is abysmal!

Posted: 07 November 2007 10:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-08-12

I have the latest TomTom which I use on a PDA and have found it very good even in very small villages only problem I had was when it tried to take me through Planes and some of the roads in the village centre were VERY small and tight

John

Posted: 08 November 2007 01:13 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I have bought a Garmin ETREX GPS for walking - does anyone know the correct setup option for ?Position Format? ?? or if you have a GPS for walking please post back as there are other things I dont yet understand!! Thanks.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 06 December 2007 05:49 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-12-06

While in the USA earlier this year I used a Garmin, it used a bean bag mount that I thought was fantastic.

When I went to try and get a Garmin here the guy told me of all the GPS the ones they where having problems with where Garmins, I ended up getting a Tom Tom 910, have had it in Germany and of course here, it has been brilliant. Lots of options, radar traps, hands free, mp3, can be used with iPod and for a small amount per year will connect to the Tom Tom system and auto update speed traps and road alterations and diversions on the fly. The only thing is, I loved the bean bag mount I had in the US but can’t seem to get one for the Tom Tom.

TomTom 910 comes with maps for Europe, USA and Canada, so if you visit there then you are quids in. Spain has fairly good coverage from what I have found so far, if you go to the TomTom site you will find maps of the coverage throughout the world.

TomTom 910 users Tip: If you suddenly find you cannot switch the GPS on then do a soft reset, the small button beside the little bit of green board beside the main mount plug. If you overcharge the battery they can lock up, doing a sift reset clears this. It is not documented i the book and I actually tripped across it on the web on a GPS forum post, saved my day and me from chucking the TomTom out the window 😊

Hope this helps

Posted: 09 December 2007 07:12 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-08
gonanddunnit - 05 November 2007 12:46 AM

Does anyone have experience of using these in Spain? I’m thinking of purchasing one for use in Spain, GB and Europe but wondered how good they were in Spain? My experience in the UK was with the tomtom brand and I found this to be very good…particularly when using postcodes.

Hi, New to this site but I used the NAVMAN icn 650 in Sept/Oct. 2006 and it worked fine. As you know post codes in Spain are numbers and the way of writing addresses is a bit complicated until you get used to them. Also they seem to be changing the roads overnight but I used mine from Barcelona thru to Alicante and further south for a month and didn’t have to much trouble. Hope this helps.
Cheers bulwark11

Posted: 10 December 2007 02:39 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

I’ve been using via michelin since moving to spain a few years ago because the Tom Tom for PDA wasn’t ready for Europe. I had been a Tom Tom user before that in the USA. I recommend the Tom Tom because i think there is no difference in the maps but the Tom Tom software is just so much more superior that the via michelin - for example setting up and managing favourites…

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 10 December 2007 02:48 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-12-06

I have heard others talking of having TomTom on their pda… don’t know much about using pda’s but is this what you mean?
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/section650.aspx

Posted: 10 December 2007 01:51 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Yes exactly. It worked out cheaper since i use a PDA anyway. So all i had to buy was the GPS Bluetooth receiver and the software with maps when in the USA. Then when i moved to Spain i would only have had to buy the maps for Europe from Tom Tom but they didn’t have any yet so had to buy new software and maps from Via Michelin - but at least i didn’t have to buy a GPS receiver since the one i had still worked.

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com