How long does it take to get a work visa?
Posted: 03 April 2008 06:54 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-04-03

Assume that I am a US citizen, have been sponsored by a firm to work in Spain, and have all the necesary paperwork in order. Once I turn it in to the consulate/embassy in the US, how long should I expect to wait? Please, only comment if you actually know.

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Did you read point #3?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 April 2008 12:12 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-08

I am in the same situation and have been advised by my lawyer that it can take up to 90 days (they could be wrong perhaps based on the statement on this website); however, when you submit your paperwork the embassy can give you a more realistic expectation at that time. It has usually only taken about 1 month for most of my colleagues.
I have a question that maybe you’ll know the answer to: When I submit my visa request, do I have to send my passport or just take it with me when I go pick the visa up?

Posted: 08 April 2008 11:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03

They withhold your passport so that they could stamp the visa sticker in it.

Posted: 08 April 2008 11:50 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03

interesting. the new york consulate i consulted said 1 to 2 weeks if u have all of the documents correct. i have no clue about this timeframe, ive heard so many.

Posted: 09 April 2008 12:13 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-01-04

To the original poster; Im assuming you have your work permit granted and your company has sent it to you, no? It is that, along with all the other documents, you are taking to the spanish embassy in order to get the spanish entry visa, no?

If this is the case, point #3, which was pointed out to you, can be quite variable I think. Getting the entry visa is quite variable depending on the embassy/consulate you ask in. Their volume of work will dictate the wait. Near where I live, Toronto, the consulate here granted me the entry visa I needed 5 years ago in a couple of weeks. It was pretty fast.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for your company sponsored work permit to arrive/be approved? Im currently awaiting mine. Its been several months and driving me crazy. Im expecting no more than a couple of weeks to obtain the entry visa at the consulate once the work permit arrives.

Posted: 10 April 2008 12:51 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

Regarding the visa wait time after you submit the paperwork (including the work permit), I have now heard that just a couple weeks is what it has taken my recent colleagues who have gone through the embassy in DC (but they technically have up to 90 days).
I have also been informed that the work permit can take between 45-60 days to be granted after your lawyer requests your concession.
I am also getting impatient for mine, so I understand.

Posted: 10 April 2008 01:07 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

Does anyone know of a website that explains the forms that are needed to submit for your visa (in addition to the work permit from Spain)? I understand I need the criminal and medical records, but am not sure where to find them.

Posted: 11 April 2008 09:35 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
Steven0123 - 09 April 2008 12:13 AM

To the original poster; Im assuming you have your work permit granted and your company has sent it to you, no? It is that, along with all the other documents, you are taking to the spanish embassy in order to get the spanish entry visa, no?

If this is the case, point #3, which was pointed out to you, can be quite variable I think. Getting the entry visa is quite variable depending on the embassy/consulate you ask in. Their volume of work will dictate the wait. Near where I live, Toronto, the consulate here granted me the entry visa I needed 5 years ago in a couple of weeks. It was pretty fast.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for your company sponsored work permit to arrive/be approved? Im currently awaiting mine. Its been several months and driving me crazy. Im expecting no more than a couple of weeks to obtain the entry visa at the consulate once the work permit arrives.

It took approximately 7 months for them to give me my work permit after my lawyers initiated the process

Posted: 11 April 2008 09:36 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03

Im sorry. It took 5 months.

Posted: 11 April 2008 09:39 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
habibi - 10 April 2008 01:07 AM

Does anyone know of a website that explains the forms that are needed to submit for your visa (in addition to the work permit from Spain)? I understand I need the criminal and medical records, but am not sure where to find them.

Medical records should prove u are physically fit to work (though they are ambiguous on this) they dont really explain WHAT kind of document they want for this, yes, they ask for a letterhead but the content Im not sure about. perhaps someone else on the forum can tell you.

for criminal: eap.ucop.edu/eap/forms/0708/spain/extendingvisainfo.pdf

this link helped me

Posted: 17 April 2008 09:24 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

Thank you for the good advice. I think I have what I need for the medical form now. I got my criminal record based on the first step from your recommended website. Then I took it to the back to have it notarized and they told me they had no idea how to notarize it even after I gave them the instructions from that site.
So, I am in the dark again as to how to ultimately get this apolstille of the Hague that I need.

Any advice, anyone?

Posted: 17 April 2008 09:29 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
habibi - 17 April 2008 09:24 PM

Thank you for the good advice. I think I have what I need for the medical form now. I got my criminal record based on the first step from your recommended website. Then I took it to the back to have it notarized and they told me they had no idea how to notarize it even after I gave them the instructions from that site.
So, I am in the dark again as to how to ultimately get this apolstille of the Hague that I need.

Any advice, anyone?

Where are you located? What state and city? I may be able to help

Posted: 17 April 2008 10:24 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

I am in Charlotte, NC.

Posted: 20 April 2008 07:33 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-03
habibi - 17 April 2008 10:24 PM

I am in Charlotte, NC.

If you see in that document, it says to contact the Secretary of State office (in this case, NC) to get info on the Hague seal. Try contacting them and asking where you can have it.