Teaching English in Spain
Posted by Casi Cielo
If you're thinking of teaching English in Spain, read these articles first, adventure later.
Teaching English in Spain can be hazardous to your health. If you’re expecting open arms and a fabulous lifestyle on the Mediterranean or la mesita, then think again. Although Spain has one of the least foreign language speaking populations in the EU (only the UK, Ireland and Greece are further behind) and according to the EU, only 18% of Spaniards speak English with a “conversational ability”, there remain plenty of barriers to cross; teachers from non-EU countries are often said to be among the most effective teachers but find it nearly impossible to find work in a language school, making teachers from the UK in high demand, despite qualifications (of course many of them are excellent teachers). The English teaching market won’t find itself saturated any time soon and Spain will likely remain behind due to this lack of opportunity.
This may be a discouraging but realistic perspective on TEFL/TESOL English teaching in Spain, but this series of articles will be specifically targeted to the non-EU expat heading out for an English teaching position in Spain. Through the cynicism and resentment (having been an English teacher in Spain), I’ll try to provide what help, lessons learnt and resources found as I’ve managed to collect during my time teaching to ensure your experience, or at least your decision whether or not to teach in Spain, is easier.
Then again, if you’re just out for the adventure of *wow* teaching English in Spain *how romantic*, move along, and get with the adventuring already!
The Teaching English in Spain Series
See the following articles in our series of five to teach english in Spain. Non-EU teachers, pay attention to The To Do List for Teaching in Spain, Teach Private Classes and Teaching in the Black.
- Teach English in Spain: Teaching TEFL/TESOL, TEFL Courses - Our first part of five articles providing information about teaching English in Spain. Discussion of TEFL, TESOL, certificates, TEFL school accreditation, and what to expect from your TEFL course.
- Teach English in Spain: The To Do List For Becoming a Teacher - Our second part of five articles providing information on teaching English in Spain. Discussion of the items you’ll need to do before you leave and in the first few months you’re here.
- Teach English in Spain: Teach In the Black - Part 3 of our 5 article series on teaching English in Spain. Information on teaching “in the black”, meaning illegally, with or without papers/visa, and under the radar of the Spanish tax and immigration system.
- Teach English in Spain: Teach Private Classes - Part 4 of 5 articles covering specific information on teaching private English classes in Spain. See our sample English teaching poster.
- Teach English in Spain: Teaching at Summer Camps - Part 5 of 5 articles about teaching English in Spain. Summer camps provide some of the best opportunities for English teachers during the summer months. Here we provide information on the whats, hows and whys of English summer camps for teachers in Spain.