looking for a professional quality interent connection…
Posted: 28 June 2006 08:42 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-02-13

I’m relocating to Barcelona from Canada and need to get a professional highly reliable and fast interent connection.  Who should i use, how much will it cost a month, what are the install fees and how long will it take?

thanks

Posted: 30 June 2006 01:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi MtnMan,
If you haven’t yet, take a look at the Telefonica Rage forum where you’ll see this post has a lot of information from Bill about his experiences with the different companies.

In my experience, most companies end up with Telefonica to start. They have a lot of higher end services for businesses, see http://www.telefonicaonline.com I couldn’t find their prices, but it’ll probably run you up around 100euros for your basic phone line and professional ADSL connection. You can see more info about residential prices at our internet in spain page. You can get it by calling Telefonica at 1004 for free from any phone in Spain. Installation takes about 2 weeks with them, and often it’s free if you sign up with a package. You’re also able to go into any of their Telefonica stores and order it directly from the sales personel there, although they often don’t speak English. Also try http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/ who provide most of the same services but with customer service in English.

Later, however, you’ll see a lot of companies change service providers once they start getting screwed around on their billing (although according to Bill it’s manageable, so heed his words).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 June 2006 06:54 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-02-13

Thank you for the reply.

So after people are totally fed up with their original company, who do most people end up with?

I was also hoping to find a company to house our webserver at (we will be bringing a box with us).  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I also need a EU based bulk registrar.  Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Thatmtnman

Posted: 04 July 2006 09:00 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-06-21

A couple hints: “alojamiento” is hosting, “web” is web, “servidor” is server, “dominio” is domain.

hope that helps.

Posted: 30 July 2006 09:26 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-07-30

Hi

I have lived in Spain for 6 years. I started off with Telefonica, and then moved to another, Telephone Service Provider - who will remain namless ? for provision of Internet services.

I was with this other Company for almost 2 years. To be frank, from almost the first moment they gave me trouble.

I eventually bit the bullet and stopped my service and went to Telefonica for internet service.

The reason I waited so long, was that I can?t really live without internet, and once I cancelled my service it took them, less than 1 hour to cut off my internet and almost 2 months to release the service so that I could get it reconnected with Telefonica.

The only real problem with Telefonica that I have had, is the language, they don?t speak English, much & the technical department for ADSL (internet) will not speak English.

I can speak some Spanish. When I called the ADSL technicians and asked for someone who speaks English ? the reply I got was ? this is a Spanish only service?. Now I managed to explain what I wanted, what the problem was and ascertain how long and what action would be taken. Yes I understood them and they did do what they said in the time scale they said.

Actually I only did this because the lady on the phone spoke slowly and repeated what she was saying to me, and in a different way when I really did not understand her.

I use Europa Network, for international calls, as this is much cheaper than Telefonica. I also use a prepaid calling card from Powercall Worldwide, which again is cheaper still.

However when I don?t have a card, calling Europe, North America, & Australasia via Europa Network, does not break the bank.

You can dial 1004 on a telefonica telephone and get help in English - you have to shout at the computer English, serveral times, but you will get someone to speak to in Enlgish. If you don’t speak to the computer, it cuts you off, so shout at it - English.

To keep you updated, as of May 2007, I have finally given up with Telefonica, and now don’t use their services at all, not for Telephone / Landline or Broadband / ADSL; just had enough of their behaviour and now us our own systems.

WE now offer both Broadband / ADSL Internet & a Home Phone Service for those of you who can not get a Landline Installed.

Our services are seperate and indpendant of each other. To say that you can purchase either service from us, you do NOT have to have both services.

Our Telephone service, works any where in Spain. However we are based in La Marina, Elche, south of Alicante, and so cover the Costa Blanca, and northern Costa Calida with the Home Phone service.

This is not a Wi-Fi or Voip system. This works and is much cheaper than Telefonica.

The Broadband is a much more local service and is currently operating from Torrevieja, La Marina, Catral, Algorfa, and all points between, and yes it works.

Hope this helps

Roger
UK TV

Signature 

Roger

http://www.uktelevision.info

Posted: 03 August 2006 07:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-08-03

Has anyone actually ordered from http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/ ?  It seems the site is broken.  I am wondering if any of you have ever measured upload speeds of your adsl?

does anyone have cable internet connections in madrid?  it seems that it is pretty hard to find.

thanks!

Posted: 12 August 2006 10:11 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-08-12

Hello.

If you need a housing service, I might be able to help you.  My company is offering a professional housing service.  We are located near Benidorm, and have our CPD directly connected to Fiber in a secure and protected area 24/7.

Per

Posted: 13 August 2006 02:08 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-07-30

With Regards to http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

This is not a Telefonica site. It is operated by someone else, it has Nothing to do with Telefonica.

Signature 

Roger

http://www.uktelevision.info