Connectivity?
Posted: 26 July 2006 03:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-07-26

Hello all

Being new to this forum, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I live in the UK, and will be visiting Salamanca early next year. I’m studying the Napoleonic (Peninsular) wars & will be traveling around Spain. Vitoria,Badajoz,Salamanca,Cuidad Rodrigo

etc….

I have a wifi enabled laptop & was wondering what would be the best form of connection - cable or wifi? Also can it be confirmed, if cable dial-up connection is recommended, what telephone socket adapter I need.

As soon as family situation allows, I will be moving to Spain full-time, then I will approach the forum for the fastest (and wisest!) advice. In the UK my connection speed is just over 5MB, from what I’ve read, this speed is currently not available in Spain.

Regards
Paul

Posted: 26 July 2006 03:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked out our page re: Internet in Spain? We have a lot of the info you’re looking for on there. From the wording of your post however, there seems to be some confusion between what wifi and cable/adsl are. One needs an ADSL/Cable internet connection in order to get wifi. They aren’t alternatives to eachother.

Also, 5MB is different than 5Mb. Indeed if you have a 5MB connection at home then you won’t find anything in the consumer range of Internet products existing here (that I’ve heard of), but many ISPs in Spain now offer up to 20Mb. Remember there are 8bits (b) to 1 byte (B).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 26 July 2006 05:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-26

Hi again

I think you misunderstand me. In the Uk I’m on Broadband with a transmission speed of just over 5Mb (IBM also use MB). My question re wirelss was with regard using wireless hotspots in cafes etc, or was it worth using a cable connection in the various hotels I will be staying.
Sorry for any confussion.

Regards
Paul

Posted: 26 July 2006 05:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Ah, well then. Probably sticking to hotspots is alright… but it depends on how much you’d need the net. Hotspots are the cheaper way to go though I’d say, as hotels generally use Telefonica for wifi services at 12 euros/day. Check out Air Bites‘s list of hotspots as they are one of the largest hotspot providers in Spain. Their connection is okay at 512/256 at 20 euros/month.

Hope that helps and good luck with everything!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 26 July 2006 05:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-26

Hi

Many thanks for your advice, I kind of guessed hotspots might be the cheaper option, but did not really know. Will check out list. My true knowledge of Espa?a is between 1804 - 1815, & I know Welliington did not have wifi!!

best regards
Paul