Car Shopping
Posted: 27 April 2007 11:19 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-04-25

Helllo

I have been doing a bit of shopping, (just checking out e-bay to get an idea of prices ) for small cars and I’m wondering about this MOT that I’m reading about, sounds like a registration thing. 
If you buy a used car in Canada depending on the age you need to do emissions tests and get it safetied (sorry spelling…lol ), is the MOT the same or is it just licencing you do every year.
I would prob just get a second hand that is already in Spain hoping to cut down on running into any unexpected paperwork and expenses of importing.

any input is helpful, thanks

Fiona

Posted: 15 May 2007 08:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Fiona,
Algrif just posted an article about buying a second hand car which should be right up your alley. Hope that helps!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 16 May 2007 12:37 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hola, Firstly an MOT is the annual vehicle check for safetly etc in the UK - the Spanish equivalent is the ITV. To be honest I completely fail to understand how anyone can consider shipping a car across the Atlantic and then having all of the nightmares of making it legal in Spain. In my opinion - come to Spain and buy a Spanish car from a reputable dealer - end of problems.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 16 May 2007 08:14 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-04-25

Thanks Expat, I will have a read of that. Thanks for the info.

Yes Robi I agree.  I would never bother with the hassle of shipping a car from Canada.  All the best cars are made in Europe anyways.  I’ve just been playing on e-bay trying to get an idea of the costs that they are going for in Spain.  Should just be able to sell mine here and get a fair used car there.  I prefer walking, but cars come in handy some times.