Getting lost with bad advice…..I think!!!!
Posted: 02 December 2007 03:04 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-08-22

Hi everyone, am after some advice from people who may have been in my situation….I recently moved to Mallorca from London, where I was working as a freelance/ self employed Graphic designer and web designer, I had intended sitting in the sun and enjoying the island, but I have been asked by a number of people if I would do some work for them, and their business’s…...now…am I allowed to do this? or am I required to get a licence to do this work.

I am British, and a UK citizen and do not require office space, business loans etc, as I work from home, is there anyone out there who can put me on the right track, as I don’t want to fall foul of the Spanish Authorities.

Thanks

Samantha

Signature 

[size=10][size=8]Nick[/siz[size=10][/size10]e][/size10]

Posted: 02 December 2007 03:27 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

It might be worth visiting a local “gestoria” as they will advise you fully regarding any tax implications and being legitimate. I suppose it will depend on the level of income you’re generating from your activities.

Take a look at the home page here and look for the “Legal” advice section. Theres alot of useful information on types of business and starting a business in Spain. Of particular note perhaps for your own circumstances, the information in there regarding registering “Autonomo”. This is similar to decaring yourself self-employed back in the UK, but there are tow different types of “Autonomo” you can register for, each with their own benefits and pitfalls, depending on what income you’ll be earning.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 04 December 2007 05:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-12-04

Before doing what heath1974 suggests, you must register yourself within the authorities and obtain a NIE, it is a Foreigner Identification Number. The process for us (EU citizens) is very straightforward and easy.  You will use this number to register as Autonomo (self worker).