Self Employment Visa Info From Chicago Spanish Consulate Website
Posted: 05 December 2007 08:20 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-05

I’ve been scouring this site for an answer to this question but have been unable to find one.
I am a US citizen looking to move to Spain and work in the Spanish film industry and/or teach private English lessons. I currently work as a freelancer/contractor in the film industry in Texas and I plan to take a TEFL course to get the required skills to teach English. My question is about what is required to get a self employment visa. Here’s what the Chicago Spanish Consulate Website says (I hope this might also be helpful to other members here):

Requirements:

5.- Official Work Authorization approved by pertinent Labor Authorities in Spain, or
a.- Declaration of specific type of activity or occupation to engage in;
b.- Proposal of a projected business to engage in, with market analysis and feasibility study showing sufficient investment;
c.- Diploma of education degree required for proposed activity, validated by Spanish Authorities;
d.- Bank statement from a bank in Spain showing a minimum balance of $100,000 or certificate by the Direction General of Foreign Transactions that applicant has investments in Spain for said amount, or Public Deeds showing investments in Spain for same amount, or a combination of all three for the same established amount.

My question is this: do I need to show a,b,c, AND d or just one of these? I was hoping to just show my resume of previous work to meet the requirements of “a”.

Also, if I have to get an “Official Work Authorization” document, how do I get one of these for teaching English or working in films?

In a perfect world I’d like to apply for my self employment visa and my NIE while still in the states, move to Spain, then return to Houston to pick up my visa. Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dan

Posted: 05 December 2007 11:29 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

No, it’s not a pipe dream. The word you’re looking for is “autonomo”. Search it, there’s TONS of info on it here.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 December 2007 10:37 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-05

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry, this is all pretty confusing. I did read the articles about going autonomo and about getting a self employment visa. Your site says this is additionally required:

Copy of the Work Authorization Application (Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo) filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain and one     photocopy. This document must be submitted at this Consulate General within thirty (30) days from the date stamped by the Ministry   of Labor in Spain.

I’m not sure what that means =). I downloaded the Work Authorization Application, it seems straight forward - can I just complete this form stating my intentions and send it to the Ministry of Labor in Spain? It all seems too easy to be true =)

Dan