Total Votes: 71
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Where To live In Barcelona
Posted: 13 April 2010 03:09 PM   [ # 61 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-04-13

The Ciutat Vella is a unique place to live, but it has problems too. Street noise may be a bother, and getting a car through the narrow (if picturesque) streets is a nightmare. The abundance of awed tourists means that crime is higher here than in other areas of Barcelona, and you’ll have to watch your wallet.

Signature 

holiday accommodation melbourne

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:09 PM   [ # 62 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-14

I have just been offered the chance by my company to move to our office in Barcelona. I am very interested and read the posts on where to live, my issue is that I would like to take my dog with me and I would like to know which areas would be best. The office’s zip code is 08003. I don’t want to be too far out of the city but would like somewhere I can feel safe taking the dog out early morning and at night. I am a 45 year old woman.

After reading the post, it looks like Eixample might be a good option and would it be pet friendly. Also are the Spanish more torelant of pet owner, i.e. sitting with them in/outside of cafes?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Posted: 23 June 2010 10:46 PM   [ # 63 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

They’re relatively tolerant of pet owners. I don’t see a lot of people bringing their dogs into bars or cafes, but since most cafes offer outdoor seating it’s not usually a problem. Eixample is probably alright, but not a lot of parks. You might want to look at Poble Nou for the access to the beaches and some of the larger parks. Close to Ciutadella would be ideal I’d think.

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 27 June 2010 12:49 AM   [ # 64 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-06-27

I lived in Ciutat Vella for a few years. It is probably one of the best places you can live if you are only staying a few months or years in Barcelona - if you stay longer you will get tired of it and move to a more calm zone in the city like Eixample or Sarria.

Posted: 28 June 2010 06:13 PM   [ # 65 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-14

Thanks for your responses, this gives me some good ideas on where to start looking.

Posted: 28 June 2010 08:34 PM   [ # 66 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-06-17

see, at least the administrators bother to answer! thanks a lot for the comment, it was very informative. i think everybody would like to live close to the beach, that would be just too nice! i went to Barcelona once and i found it quite “small”. by this i mean that everything can be reached quite easily, if you don’t live in the farthest suburbs. so, don’t worry about the beach and the city center, you will get there. 😉

Posted: 25 July 2010 02:23 AM   [ # 67 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

hello. i saw this thread and i had to register.
i currently live in ljubljana,slovenia and i’d like to move to Barcelona.
im 20 and just like Zeph said, im thinking about being a bartender (i know it wont be easy for me to get this job bcs im a man:) thats why id take actually any job avaliable just to get regular money for room/apartment…
the problem is i don’t speak much spanish/catalan but im ready to learn!
i have some money aside for this adventure bcs i know myself and usually if i like it somewhere im stayin for a little longer than expected.
id also like to find a shared apartment with young people who are ready to enyoj every second in this wonderful city.
thx for ur answers&ideas;!

Posted: 28 July 2010 01:13 AM   [ # 68 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-07-28

Hello. I am considering to move and buy an appartment or house in Barcelona or its viscinity for my family. I have two little boys; so preferably the living place should be safe and socially developed (I mean school, medical services, sports, etc). Can anyone recommend me a good place for family stay in Barcelona (or its viscinity)? Thanks.

Posted: 22 September 2010 05:02 PM   [ # 69 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-09-22

Hi,

I’m moving to Barcelona from the UK in October and am trying to work where to live.

My girlfriend and I are looking for a 2 bed furnished apartment with parking and our budget is between 1000-1500 euro p/m.

I’ll be driving to work near the airport and am looking for somewhere noise won’t keep me awake but has good bars/restaurants and low crime rate.

Any suggestions and/or recommended estate agents would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Posted: 14 October 2010 09:51 PM   [ # 70 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-10-14

El Putxet is right is near Sant Gervasi La Bonanova, which means you are still in a posh silent clean area of Barcelona where you will not be near the Metro.  Most likely,  you will need a car.  The pluses of the Zona Alta (the term used to refer to Sant Gervasi, Sarri?) are: (a) silence, (b) silence, (c) silence (d) cleanliness (e) extreme cleanliness (f) silence (g) people have domestic help ... and yes, there are good private schools there.  But it is possible to live elsewhere in the City and send your child to a good private school, whether in Sarri? or elsewhere.

Posted: 07 January 2011 08:52 PM   [ # 71 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-01-05

I would also recommend the Sagrada Familia area if you can. Its a popular area to live in so it may be quite hard to find a suitable place but I would definitely advise allowing yourself plenty of time to find somewhere as it can be pretty competitive over there!
I would recommend casamundo.co.uk if you’re looking for an apartment to tie you over. They have quite a few accommodation options available in Barcelona so may be worth having a look about.

Posted: 08 June 2011 07:26 PM   [ # 72 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

I recommend Sagrada Familia area too. I’ve friends living there and it’s nice to live. Sants is a good option if you can afford and need to travel around Spain/other countries because the train and bus station are there.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2011 10:48 PM   [ # 73 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19

Is there are anyone here lining in Sant Cugat Del Valles. Want to learn more about this town.

Posted: 25 July 2012 12:51 PM   [ # 74 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2012-07-25

Hello, I live in San Francisco and would like to have a second home in Europe. A cosmopolitan city, close to water, great weather and food, with art and culture.  I was considering Barcelona.  i would love your opinions about it, compared to other cities in Europe, like Amsterdam, Prague, Geneva, Zurich, Paris, Rome.

Also if money is not an issue where would one live in Barcelona.  i am single 54 years old and a writer.  Would love something very safe, quiet but walking distance to restaurants and shooping, museums etc.

thanks

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:25 PM   [ # 75 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
Explorer - 25 July 2012 12:51 PM

Hello, I live in San Francisco and would like to have a second home in Europe. A cosmopolitan city, close to water, great weather and food, with art and culture.  I was considering Barcelona.  i would love your opinions about it, compared to other cities in Europe, like Amsterdam, Prague, Geneva, Zurich, Paris, Rome.

Also if money is not an issue where would one live in Barcelona.  i am single 54 years old and a writer.  Would love something very safe, quiet but walking distance to restaurants and shooping, museums etc.

thanks

Compared to those other cities, it’s the only one with a all year great weather, beach life, sea city cosmopolitanism, with some of the most exciting food and culture experiences available in Europe (only competing with Berlin and Paris IMHO). I’m biased though, after traveling much of the world it’s still my fav city to live in. It’s still more affordable than other major Euro cities.

District-wise, I think Gracia is ideal, especially for the artistically inclined. I’d also take a look at Poble Sec, tucked between Montjuic and downtown, still quiet with smaller streets and historical buildings but easy access to the best of BCN (bonus that it’s closer to Sants train station to get away when necessary).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 > 
5 of 7