< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4
Introduction
Posted: 05 May 2012 06:46 PM   [ # 31 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Yes, Expatriator, I notice that the spammers disappear quickly off the radar LOL. 
No interest, I am afraid, in starting up an expat forum.  In any case there would be no one posting as I would ban whining, moaning and vitriol LMAO.

I just brought up the subject of other EU nationalities and their possible forums, because, I suppose, I should like to know if they also dedicate their time to complaining.  I don’t think so.  From personal knowledge of other Europeans over the decades in Spain I have noticed they seem to get on with it and are not constantly whingeing. 
Sure, I know there are many U.K. expats who come to Spain, settle in and adapt.  But I fear they are the exception that confirms the rule.

Patricia

Posted: 08 May 2012 03:19 AM   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

You know, they say that people think very differently in a second language, almost like a new personality. Have you noticed you complain less in Spanish (or whether others complain less in Spanish)?

In my experience I find myself funnier and more optimistic en Espa?ol. No s? exactamente porque…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 May 2012 04:06 AM   [ # 33 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Totalmente de acuerdo, Expatriator.  They say: “he who acquires another language acquires another soul”. 

Campana

Posted: 20 May 2012 11:31 PM   [ # 34 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

Hi Patricia and others,
I enjoyed reading through your thread, although I admit, some of the inside jokes were lost on me. ;> I am relatively new to the forum so I don’t have much to add, but I did come across this BBC article a few days ago that maybe you would find interesting;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17892521

When I found myself in Spain for the 3rd extended time, I really took it upon myself to take my Spanish to the next level and fully immersed myself in native speakers. Interestingly, once I overcame the initial hurdle of feeling frustrated with the language barrier, I felt much more clearheaded. I think the act of “simplifying” really sunk in when my then limited Spanish vocabulary forced me to speak simpler, and listen more. “A new soul”, indeed.

I also noticed a comment about people from the UK who make it in Spain being the exception rather than the rule. *Full disclosure* I’m American, so I don’t mean any disrespect, but speaking from the experience of having a very proud mother and aunts born and raised in London, I find some Brits happiness level tends to be directly correlated to the availability of a good cup of tea. To my dismay, I found the 4 oz cups of tepid water with a dry teabag floating on top to be a sad waste of a euro or two in Espana, and I am afraid my mom would have been quite put out as well. The only way she was able to survive as long as she did in the States, besides the presence of myself, was the proximity of our town to Canada and a regular supply of PG tips.

Best,
Laura

Posted: 21 May 2012 06:26 PM   [ # 35 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Hello Laura.

Enjoying your post.  How are your plans progressing for your move to Spain?

In Spain it is best IMO to stick to their excellent coffee.  I like tea, but generally only drink it when I am back in Ireland.  And a tea-bag has never entered our house LOL.  From time immemorial, at home in Ireland, we have used “loose tea”.  And I like it scalding hot and strong, made in a good teapot.  Conversely, it is impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in Ireland, unless I make it myself.  But out and about what they serve tastes a bit like paint-stripper or some kind of detergent must taste.

To be serious many Brits do make a good go of it in Spain.  But this is in direct relation to the kind of person they were before they moved to Spain.  It is the old story of “wherever you go, there you are”.  I don’t think a move to another country is for the timid, indeed it is not a good idea for many people.  From the many British people I have met in Spain over the years I found that the open-minded, non-insular, outgoing, insightful and aware characters did well, got things done and got their fingers burnt less.  A smile and a polite word goes a long way in Spain.  And so it should. 

However, acting like some of the characters in “A passage to India” (telling “the natives” how it should be done) will produce total stone-walling. LOL. 

Patricia

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:02 AM   [ # 36 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2011-12-29

Hi Patricia,
Thanks for your response, its a pleasure to hear from you. Indeed, during my time abroad, I was quite disappointed to find that many an American tourist has the attitude you describe as well. Its such a shame that some can’t appreciate the finer points of another culture due to their own overly ingrained preferences. Perhaps it is fear of the unknown, or a threat to their ego. I agree, some people are cut out for change more than others. I have been surprised to hear some describe the Spanish as nasty, mostly in the big cities, granted. From my experience, people usually treat you the way you treat them, with a few exceptions. I think Spain tends to be a bit on the noisy side however, which is a challenge for me. I loath fireworks. So in that respect, I may have the urge to flee to the countryside every few weeks:>

As far as my plans, they are in effect, laid. I have made some connections, and have a good idea of where to go and how to get work teaching English. There is a window of hiring that happens in September and January. Personally, however, I am on hold, due to the terminal illness of a very dear friend. I am in effect, “waiting” for them. This holding pattern, by its nature, might be leading me to over-think things and worry more than I should. I prefer to be spontaneous. The silver lining though, is gathering the plethora of information on these forums and such. There are so many little details that will require my attention when I arrive.

I am leaning towards living in San Sebastian. I think this is a great place, although I have only but touched my feet there. I believe there is a modest expat community, but not overwhelmingly so. Do you know much about this area?

Yes, the coffee is better! I love the cafe con leches, provided it is not too late in the day, when they can pour you the dregs from the bottom of the pot, which makes it entirely too strong for me. But I definitely prefer my tea. Where I live, with all the trade with Japan and eastern Asia, there is no shortage of fantastic Asian teas to choose from. Can’t get good fish and chips here though, which I hear can’t be beat in Ireland.

Cheers,
Laura

Posted: 23 July 2012 09:32 AM   [ # 37 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-23

Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Mika and I’m from the USA. I am planning on taking a long extended trip to Valencia this year. I’ve never been to Spain before so I am really excited for all this to happen. I am quite rusty on my Spanish so cross your fingers and wish me luck on soaking up everything I can about the country and language before my trip:)

Posted: 23 July 2012 09:40 AM   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

welcome to the forum Mika

Posted: 01 October 2012 06:45 PM   [ # 39 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Isn’t it great!  1.700 (is it?) have looked in on my introduction.  Not heard from any of them, or only from a very few. 

I see the ranting and raving is going on elsewhere, the flame-throwing and jawing, the “expert6” opinions and the put-downs.  Lol.

Mental ill-health is a growing problem world-wide…

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:20 PM   [ # 40 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

1771, and counting.

Posted: 20 October 2012 08:04 AM   [ # 41 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Goodness.. How did I miss this thread?

Good to see you here Campana.. we are sort of fellow refugess from ‘the other site’ (I don’t think I have been banned as yet 😉

Just to add to my ‘Got a fright’ thread…

SpainExpat really is THE BEST ExPat site around.
Full of info/insights and usually a sane, sensible, and friendly reply if one posts a question.

Keep up the good work our US sponsors!

(And thank you to our wonderful Mods, who are all volunteers I understand.)

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:07 PM   [ # 42 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Hear, hear, Susanspain.

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:18 PM   [ # 43 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

I’ve passed the 2000 mark!!  Any prizes!  The traffic to your site just to look in on little ole me.
LOL

Posted: 16 November 2012 01:09 AM   [ # 44 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-16

Do you feel like your work/life balance just isn?t working?  Do you spend long hours at work and less time than you?d like with your friends and family? Do you dream of being your own boss but have no idea where to start to make that dream a reality? Do you feel like you?re at a turning point in your life?

True North Productions are looking for couples and families for a brand new Channel 4 series who want to make changes to their lives and start running their own business.

We are looking for people who are ready to make these changes but need some expert help to identify the right opportunity. It’s a perfect chance for people who dream of a new life but until now just haven’t had the expertise or head space to go for it!

Please contact ? .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  with a little bit of information about yourself and your current situation. Ideally you should be in a position to make some big decisions in 2013.

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:37 PM   [ # 45 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Things are very quiet here!!

How are your Christmas preparations going?  A marisco laden table for Christmas Eve, or are you doing the traditional Christmas Day stuff?

< 1 2 3 4 > 
3 of 4