Can we go yet??
Posted: 28 June 2007 08:07 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-08-28

We are hoping to move to Barcelona mid-September, but we’re still awaiting visa approval.  It’s been 3 months, but I’ve heard we might be waiting much longer…

The problem is that if we don’t leave in September, we will have to postpone everything by several months (I won’t bother explaining why). 

Here’s my question: would it be ok for us to plan to leave for Spain mid-September - visa or no visa?  We would just go using our passports for up to 90 days, then when we get notified that our visas have been approved, we will come back to the US to pick them up, then return to Spain to become residents.  Any reasons why this wouldn’t work???

Last question - is it possible to get a NIE number without having a visa?

Thanks everyone!
Kree18

Signature 

Karie
http://www.karieandscott.com

Posted: 09 July 2007 11:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-06-25

Hi!!!

I do not see why not doing it like that. As a matter of fact there are people who request a visa or a working permit as if they where in their own country but are actually here and then go to pick it up when it is ready.

However, I think there may be other aspects to take into account depending on what you are going to be doing here. Whether you are going to be studying or working… Would you be able to register in school with put the visa? or Would your employer be able to pay you without a NIE? For example.

I am almost positive that it is not possible for a non EU resident to get a NIE without a visa or a working permit.

Good luck!!!!

Regards,

Signature 

Victoria Capriles
Relocation Services in Barcelona
Telephone: +34 93 246 93 55
Mobile: +34 637 244 361
e-mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 10 July 2007 02:56 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
Kree18 - 28 June 2007 08:07 AM

We are hoping to move to Barcelona mid-September, but we’re still awaiting visa approval.  It’s been 3 months, but I’ve heard we might be waiting much longer…

The problem is that if we don’t leave in September, we will have to postpone everything by several months (I won’t bother explaining why). 

Here’s my question: would it be ok for us to plan to leave for Spain mid-September - visa or no visa?  We would just go using our passports for up to 90 days, then when we get notified that our visas have been approved, we will come back to the US to pick them up, then return to Spain to become residents.  Any reasons why this wouldn’t work???

Last question - is it possible to get a NIE number without having a visa?

Hi Kree,
Yep, anyone can apply for an NIE, with or without a visa. It just means you’re in the books for tax purposes really. Check out the page about NIEs and other ID cards.

And yes, you can fly in, wait for notification of the visa, then fly back and pick them up. That’s a lot of extra flying though…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 July 2007 03:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

Let me get this straight!!!! I am about to make a significant Investment in Marbella Spain!!! I was told that i could get a NIE without a resident visa so i could open a Bank Account, Utilities payments and to purchase a car!!!! I was told by the real state agent that because i will make such an investment and i only want a residencia no lucrativa they said that i could be ready in 30 days if i prove that i am solvent which i am. Now i want to avoid the coming back to the U.S i was told that i could apply for the Residencia as soon as i arrived in Spain and have a Spanish adress and Bank Account they will give me automatically a 90 days Extension what i need to know if i have to go back to the U.S to pick up the residencia. Please let me know if in order to avoid the Spanish burocreacy i should apply in the consulate in Spain in Miami….

Posted: 10 July 2007 06:13 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-08-28
rokipatel - 10 July 2007 03:56 AM

Let me get this straight!!!! I am about to make a significant Investment in Marbella Spain!!! I was told that i could get a NIE without a resident visa so i could open a Bank Account, Utilities payments and to purchase a car!!!! I was told by the real state agent that because i will make such an investment and i only want a residencia no lucrativa they said that i could be ready in 30 days if i prove that i am solvent which i am. Now i want to avoid the coming back to the U.S i was told that i could apply for the Residencia as soon as i arrived in Spain and have a Spanish adress and Bank Account they will give me automatically a 90 days Extension what i need to know if i have to go back to the U.S to pick up the residencia. Please let me know if in order to avoid the Spanish burocreacy i should apply in the consulate in Spain in Miami….

This is confusing (and we are only half-way through this process yourselves), but from what I understand, applying for a visa & applying for residency when you arrive are two different things.  You have to apply for a residency visa at the Spanish Consulate in your local area.  When you get to Spain you can apply for your residency card locally (at the Policia??)  We haven’t figured all that out yet either, but I do know that you have to apply for the non-lucrative visa in the U.S., and pick it up in person at the same place.  It typically takes 3-6 months (or so they say…).  That being said, I’m pretty sure you can still invest in Spain w/o a visa - you just can’t stay there longer than 90 days!

Signature 

Karie

Posted: 10 July 2007 06:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-09

So you recomend that i first apply from Miami for an extended visa and then while i am in Spain apply for a Residencia no lucrativa meanwhile i have to come to the U.S within the 90 days allowance. Now my questions how many times can i re-enter Spain like a tourist with my U.S Passport because sometimes residency or extended visa could take 3-6 months. And how long the stays have to be in the U.S!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 10 July 2007 07:08 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-08-28

If you are planning to live in Spain, then yes, you would have to apply for the non-lucrative residency visa while in Miami. 

In the meantime, I believe you can enter/exit Spain as often as you’d like with your passport, BUT your time there cannot exceed a total of 90 days in a 6 month period. 

If you go to Spain before your visa is approved, you would just have to come back to the U.S. to pick up your visa in person (they physically affix it to your passport).  However, if your visa is not approved, or if you use up your 90 days in Spain, you would have to leave the Shengen States

At least those are the rules… although there is a lot of info on this site suggesting you could probably get away with staying longer & not get caught, if you are willing to take that risk.

Signature 

Karie