Renewing a “Short Stay” VISA
Posted: 09 May 2012 03:43 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

Hi all…me again, the pain in the ass…

It doesn’t appear as though I’ll be approved for an “extended stay” VISA…too much red tape here in the States.  However, I know I don’t need a VISA if I stay in Spain for less than 90 days. 

My question is this, to renew that “90” day Short Stay VISA does that mean I have to come back to the US every 90 days or simply leave Spain for a day, and then return?

Does having a “Short Stay” VISA hinder my chances of renting a place to live?

I realize my questions are bothersome, but if there were other resources to find the answers to my questions, believe me, I would use them.

Thank you for your patience and anticipated help.

Mike

Posted: 11 May 2012 04:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Mike:

You might be able to obtain some answers from this association:

http://www.americanclubcostadelsol.com/component/option,com_contact/Itemid,3/

You’ll see that the America<n consular Agency in Fuengirola is mentioned there, and they might also be a likely source of information for you.

Good luck
Campana

Posted: 11 May 2012 04:53 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-23

Thank you very much for your reply.

Disappointingly, the Spanish Consulate in NYC informed me yesterday that you can only visit Spain for one 90 day period, every six months.  That is such depressing news…

Mike

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

You are welcome, Mike.  I’d give the American Consular Agency in Fuengirola a call.  See what they have to say.  Worth a try.  There may be ways and means, who knows…

Campana (Patricia)

Posted: 12 May 2012 02:45 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Lots of non-EU visitors just ignore this rule and overstay their 90 days? LOTS.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 12 May 2012 03:36 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-23

That’s encouraging…

Not to sound like a “wuss” but what happens if you’re caught?

As you can tell, I’m determined to stay there, by hook or by crook!

Thanks.

Mike

Posted: 12 May 2012 03:55 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I understand that if you’re caught you’re deported and banned from the EU for 5 years. You’d probably have a tough time getting visas into other countries as well.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 12 May 2012 04:21 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-23

That’s NOT encouraging…

It just keeps getting better and better…

Mike