Working from home and taxes
Posted: 03 September 2007 03:45 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-09-03

Hello,

I need some advise if anyone can help.

I have been living in Spain for about 3 years now and not working. The holiday is now over and I must work having nearly run out of money.

I am starting to work as a freelance graphic designer/digital publications creator from home. I will be working for clients in the USA and Europe including Spain.

I have an NIE, I applied for this when I arrived but have not needed it until now.

I don’t have the funds to start my own business at the moment which is why I class myself as a freelancer. I want to do this legally if at all possible rather than having to worry about taxes etc but also want to earn some money.

1. When and how will I need to pay taxes on the income I recieve?  I do not expect to be earning much in the first year until client word of mouth and examples of my work spread.

2. Will I need to charge IVA to clients here in Spain, Europe and the US and will Spanish clients expect me to charge IVA even though technically I am not a company.

3. Social Security payments, are these necessary if I have private medical insurance? I have heard that the start rate is something like 200 euros - seems high if I am not earning much.

Any advise you can provide would be very helpful

Thanks in advance

A confused expat.

Posted: 03 September 2007 09:08 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Check out going autonomo and starting a business in Spain. Both should help considerably. If not, come back and tell me what’s missing!

BTW, you’re EU right?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 03 September 2007 10:56 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-09-03

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the information you advised.

I am English.

Thanks again

Posted: 03 September 2007 10:59 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-09-03

Hello again,

So as a freelancer I can’t just fill out a yearly tax return on my worldwide income? I have to become an officially self-employed person?

Also, with regards to the social security payments, is this a legal requirement? Over 200 euros a month seems alot if I am not earning much during the
first year.

Thanks again

Posted: 03 September 2007 11:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I think you can get away without paying the SS payments for a while. If you’re working freelance and then just pay taxes normally then you can probably get around this for a while. At some point a client might require you to have a business for them to write off their payments though. I had this issue, so I incorporated back home and charged them from there.

As a Brit you don’t need to worry about the visa of course; you’re allowed to live/work in Spain as long as you want. Look into getting your residencia though.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.