Which banks to use?
Posted: 05 July 2006 10:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-07-05

Local Spanish banks, or try to find a Spanish branch [in City’s] of your UK bank i.e Barclays?

Posted: 07 July 2006 05:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, why not both?

The reality is that there aren’t as many apparent benefits to going with your foreign banks - Citibank, Barclay’s, Deutsche, etc - as you might think. They won’t even speak English (or HIGHLY unlikely anyway), at least in my experience. You’ll get cheaper fees going with some of the smaller cajas/caixas too, plus much much better accessibility in general (more offices).

Depends what you’re looking for though. Are you interested in mortgages and investment or savings and chequing?

Did you see our page on banking in Spain?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 20 July 2006 02:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-07-20

what do you think aboaut La Caixa.
My friend told that i mustn’t go to small banks or city named banks.he told this is the bigest bank in valencia and barcelona and that i would have atm everywhere i go

Posted: 22 July 2006 03:23 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2006-02-03

Depends what’s important to you. If ATM convenience is key, La Caixa seems to be in every other block in Barcelona—quite amazing. They have maybe the best online system, and it’s offered in many languages.

Posted: 23 July 2006 02:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-07-23

Bancaja doesn’t charge for anything I’ve been told.
I’m myself with La Caixa and it’s ok, also I have to pay now for postage Grrrr

Signature 

“Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life”

Posted: 25 July 2006 03:02 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-06-21

I’m personally a big fan of caixa catalunya. very low fees and great availability. they won’t charge you to use a foreign bank card either… one of the very few. la caixa charges you 2 euros when you use your foreign bank card to take out cash.

Posted: 11 October 2006 12:47 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-08-22

I liked La Caixa, too.  But one downside is there are more fees if you have to open a non-resident account.  Also, if you need to bring money in from another bank, their charges on international transfers (from the US at least), are ,40% - ,50%.  That?s about the same as other banks, and may not seem like much, but if you have to constantly bring cash in from abroad, it adds up.  I chose BBVA in the end because it?s charges for the non-resident accounts were actually lower.  We also had an excellent person in Seville help us.  (She didn?t speak English, but her Spanish was extremely clear and slow!)  If you are looking for banks in Seville, feel free to contact me.

Posted: 09 December 2006 05:47 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-11-03

Greetings,

I have been in Barca 3 days and notice I am getting chewed, and good, exchanging dollars for Euros. Cheapest exchange rate I found was $1.36. Is this the normal state of affairs ?

Bruised and Battered

Posted: 19 December 2006 01:01 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-12-19

if you get a current account at the bank with a visa card you will be able to take money out on every street corner ’ TELEBANCO’

however in regards to your i have some experience with spanish banks i currently have one with Caja Madrid and SA NOS TRA

Caja Madrid charged me when i didnt save money even though it wasnt a savings account wasnt much but they still taking your money

I reccomend SA NOS TRA great bank i have always found offer good service, better rate of savings etc

Posted: 19 December 2006 01:23 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-12-15

I bank with Banco de Santander who don’t charge anything IF you put your salary into their account. I got a letter the other day telling me about a new service they offer - I think it’s called Easylife - which is all in English with dedicated phone help lines offering help with daily life in Spain. Haven’t used it myself so can’t comment.
My dad has an account with Halifax and can transfer money between UK and Spain with no charges and all online.

Posted: 22 December 2006 01:19 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, good info on Halifax.

ING Direct also carries accounts with no fees as a salary deposit account. I think you’re also able to transfer money internationally if it’s from one ING account to another (say ING Canada to ING Espa?a)... not 100% about that but I’m pretty sure.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Taxes ››