Translation of Official Documents
Posted: 11 September 2006 11:59 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-08-27

My husband and I both have degrees and from what I understand we need to get them translated into Spanish.  Where do we go to do this?  Does it have to be a specific agency or can it be very basic (I have friends who speak Spanish and could accurately translate it, but do they have to have a special qualification or stamp?)? 

Any help wiht this would be great!  Thanks!!!!!!

Posted: 12 September 2006 04:04 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-09-09

They need to be legaly translated. This should be done through an agency. I have used one before that is good. It’s called Moldora and the number is 914483137

Posted: 12 September 2006 05:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2006-08-24

It needs to be through a jury translator. You can find many of them in the Internet.
Best regards,
M

Signature 

Mar?a L. de Castro
Lawyer
http://www.costaluzlawyers.es
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 28 September 2006 01:25 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-07-25

how much does this usually cost?  Does EVERYTHING need to be translated?  I mean, my Diploma has two or three sentences.  I have attained the apostille from my secretary of state for my diploma, does those three lines really need to be translated?

Seems like it could get quite expensive to do this.

Posted: 28 September 2006 08:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well I don’t think it’s too expensive, but yeah, I hear you. It seems ridiculous to have to get only a few lines translated, but iimagine if it was the other way around (a foreign degree without translation wouldn’t get very far in the US/UK…)

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 28 September 2006 10:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-25

yeah, that makes sense.  Will explore the options and let you know!  Thanks for the replies!

Posted: 09 November 2006 06:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2006-07-25

Just to follow up, we were able to get most of our documents translated in the United States through a Spanish Professor in a University. She had done this many times, and to make it official , she has an affidavit stating the terms of translation. The consulate found this acceptable, though, they told us that most of the documents do not need to be translated. After we finish the process, we will have a better idea of what they did require translated into Spanish.

Posted: 09 November 2006 11:57 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

If you want to have your documents translated for official/legal reasons they MUST be translated by a qualified translator and given their official stamp.  Otherwise you run the risk of their non acceptance. Where you get it done depends on where you live but most large towns/cities have translators - ask at Gestorias/Notarys - they will know.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca