Is it realistic for a non-eu citizen to become Autonomo?
Posted: 31 October 2007 11:03 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-29

I’ve been researching and read everything on this site regarding Autonomo, but then started reading peoples’ experiences on other sites and am getting worried.  Is it almost impossible for myself and my wife (we are Americans) to become autonomo?  I read this on another site, written by an American:
“However, getting an initial permit for working as an autonomo in Spain is almost impossible. It has taken me a few years, but has been well worth the wait.”

How true is this?

I currently work from home freelance as a website editor for an American company and was hoping to move it overseas.  But now I’m so confused.

Thanks so much.

Posted: 04 November 2007 07:39 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

As you have not had any replies from Americans…..........I am British and therefore with my EU rights I do not need Visas - but according to some info I downloaded - you have to apply for the correct Visa and supply the correct papers, if you do this why should you be refused?

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 04 November 2007 09:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-29

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I’m also a bit confused about the requirements.  The information on this site differs greatly from most other sources.  I’ve been hearing over and over again here that to become an autonomo, and American needs around ?3000 in a business bank account, while I’ve read elsewhere that the government won’t even consider you until you have ?100,000 in an account.  Seems to be a big difference.  I’ve also read that Americans need to prove that the company will greatly benefit the country with jobs, etc., before considered. 

Has any American on these boards actually gone through the process and succeeded?  Like I said, I already work for myself as a private contractor/web editor billing an American company and I just want to move this business to Spain and hopefully expand on it, but I just want to make sure that this is a reachable goal with my current situation.

(BTW, I just realized that I probably posted this to the wrong category.  My apologies.)

Posted: 05 November 2007 12:03 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

There are a few people on here I think. One of my best friends did it.

The 3k is in assets. Listen: get a good lawyer, it’s the ONLY way you’ll be able to pull this off. Try Spaincorp.com or google Sanchez Molina. 😊

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 November 2007 02:53 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-29

Needless to say, it’s very difficult, right?

Posted: 05 November 2007 02:03 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

I think having money in a business acount is only if you are setting up a company ie (xxxxxx S.L.) - yes it is difficult if you dont speak Spanish and I think taking professional advice is a good idea. My Spanish partner and I used an abogado to setup our company - in other words even the Spanish use the professionals for this! Some more idea on what you need to produce:

Investor/Self-employed Visa

This visa allows you to reside in Spain as a self-employed person, or as
a worker in a company in which you have invested the required capital.
Apply to the Spanish embassy, or to your local consulate, in person, and
by previous appointment. You must submit the following documents:

? A passport valid for a minimum of six months, plus three photocopies
of the personal information and photo page

? Money order for $100 to cover processing charge

? Four recent passport-size pictures

? A certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the
places where you?ve lived for six months or more during the past five
years, along with a translation into Spanish

? A medical certificate printed on a doctor?s letterhead, stating that
you are free from yellow fever, cholera, the plague, drug addictions,
and mental illness, and fit to undertake the proposed activity in Spain,
along with a Spanish translation

? A copy of the work authorization application (s/olicitud de permiso de
trabajo/), filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain (this document must
be submitted at the consulate general within 30 days from the date stamped by the Ministry of Labor in Spain), along with one photocopy

? Proof of medical insurance coverage in Spain, plus two photocopies

? Original marriage certificate (if applicable), plus two photocopies

? Original birth certificates of children (if applicable), plus two
photocopies.

Processing the application will take approximately four months.

Note: Your local Spanish consulate will provide information on U.S.
citizenship and dual nationality. Since 1990, following a new
interpretation of federal laws concerning U.S. nationality, it?s
possible to become a foreign national without endangering your U.S.
citizenship. As a result, you may acquire Spanish nationality without
losing your U.S. citizenship.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 05 November 2007 09:53 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Rob,

Jeez man, you’re amazing with this legal stuff!

Are you sure about the above? Where did you find that (for reference)? I’d like to add it to our page on setting up as an autonomo.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 05 November 2007 11:07 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-29

Thanks for all the help!

A few questions:

1.  Is the self employed visa the same as autonomo?
2.  Why would I have to show proof of medical coverage if I will need to pay ?250 a month into the social security?

you guys are the best!!!

Posted: 05 November 2007 11:15 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

1. Autonomo is the corporate status, like being self employed - the self employed visa is the visa for these people. 😊

2. To cover their own asses?

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2007 01:00 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-29

haha I see. 

So, theoretically, can I get a self-employed visa without going autonomo?

Posted: 06 November 2007 01:02 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

I think that would be considered a “non-lucrative visa.”

Rokipatel, on the forums here, has one. You might ask him more about it if you still have questions.

Signature 

Posted: 06 November 2007 01:08 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-29

Thanks for all of your help!

Posted: 06 November 2007 07:42 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Hola,

Firstly I found the information at:

http://www.internationalliving.com

obviously I cannot vouch for its accuracy - I downloaded it last week but I dont know if it is current.

Secondly,

I guess if you read the list of requirements you first have to prove that you do not have any serious illnesses etc by way of a certificate from the USA and then you can get into the Spanish system and then be able to prove that you are in!

ie they dont want to take you with the plague! and then you have to prove you do have the medical cover.

Thirdly,

I thought autonomo was self employed!! ie its the same thing.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 06 November 2007 08:34 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-07-05

If he is setting up a company, and is an employee of the company, then it is not a “non-lucrative” visa. A “non-lucrative visa is exactly what it sounds like. You cant work, or do anything that will make you money. You have to have enough money in the bank to get approved for the non-lucrative, and according to the Toronto consulate, that figure is around a million dollars, but each consulate is different. Some may require less.

It is some sort of self employed visa that allows you to work. I am not sure if this is the same as autonomo.

One thing about all the requirements laid out. That is well and good, but you HAVE to get a lawyer. They know the people in the right departments to get the application approved. A few bribes might be involved along the way. Otherwise, you will be wasting your time if you try this yourself.

The 3000 Euros amount apparently is the share capitalization of the company.

You still need about 40,000 Euros in an account. This is what my lawyer has told me. You don’t need to invest, you just need to show it.

The total cost for doing this , including setting up the company, and getting the visas approved is about 4000 Euros.

Posted: 06 November 2007 09:03 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes if you are setting up a company you do need to deposit share capital - 3,000?. If you are going autonomo you need not be setting up a company so you dont need the share capital. ie Taxi drivers work autonomo but dont have a company.

I have never heard of having to have 40,000? in the bank - when I came to Spain 7 years ago (even as an EU national) because I was not retired I had to prove I had an income at least eqivalent to the average Spanish pension so that I had money to live on. This I think has now been relaxed for the EU-ers but I would have thought that they are more interested in a regular income that money on deposit because that could be spent tomorrow but a guaranteed income keeps coming in as a means of support.

Regarding professional service fees I would think around 1,000? would cover settingup a simple company (excl share investment) and probably less for organising autonomo. Probably dearer in large cities.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl