How do we find/register with a GP?
Posted: 22 September 2006 01:17 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-09-20

Hello again,

We re moving to Spain (Costa Del Sol) in the next couple of months, can anyone advise as to how I go about registering with a GP out there? Do I go along to one of the private clinics? We’re in the process of finding medical insurance (Im assuming thats what we should do), Sanitas are getting back to me with a quote. Its one of my main things to sort out because we have 2 boys aged 6 and 4 months.
Come to think of it, what about dentists too!!!???

So many questions!!!!
Many Thanks in advance.

Posted: 25 September 2006 01:04 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi again.

I’m not sure if Jane H’s site recommendation helped at all; I wasn’t able to find the information about doctors and getting a GP in Spain on that site, but I believe we have the information about doctors in Spain that you’re looking for on the doctors in Spain page here. Also take a look at our health insurance page which attempts to cover some of the important aspects of getting expat health insurance for expats in Spain. You’ll also see a link to Global Health (I believe that’s the name) where you can get a quote online within minutes, which is helpful. Sanitas is also good as I’ve heard, but shop around a bit as prices do vary, as usual, along with the details/options of coverage available.

Hope that helps. As for dentists I’ve never had to use one so far (I always get checked out when I’m back in Canada), but my friend said he had a good visit with a dentist in Barcelona. I think if you take a look through the local English publications, or even andalucia.com, or ask your doctor, you’ll find a good English-speaking Dentist.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.