Moving pets to Spain
Posted: 25 September 2006 05:20 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-09-25

Hi

My family and I (husband, daugher, son in law and grandson) are seriously considering a move to Spain.  We both have dogs.  I read that the ownership of certain dogs is subject to strict requirements and was wondering how I could find out more about this.  We have a 2 year old German Shepherd.

I also read a post where someone asked about bringing a tortoise into Spain and wonder if I missed a reply….

thanks very much, I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions later on!

Mandy

Posted: 25 September 2006 09:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Mandy,
We list almost everything you’re lookin for on our bringing pets to Spain page. Did you have a chance to read that yet?

About the tortoise… I’ve no idea. I guess no one else did either. Seria un poco raro.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:48 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-09-06

Hi

As well as reading the information on this site you will also need to look at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/index.htm as you will need to have an understanding of the Pets Travel Scheme and how to ‘export’ your animal.

Do be v v careful, and research various options.

My personal story is that we brought our cat to Spain and followed all the instructions to the letter. We paid a company called ‘Animal Airlines’ who promised to deal with the Spanish system and all we would have to do to retrieve our animal was to given them a slip of paper with a number on it! How we were fooled. When we arrived at the airport the cat was whisked off to customs as we were told we didnt have the correct paperwork. It took the time and expense of finding a translator, a trip to the customs office, lots of documents and another ?75 to get our cat. By which time my v frightened cat was being moved around a busy cargo terminal amongst noisy forklift trucks and mountains of boxes. Some airports clearly have no facilieties to deal sensitively with live animals. The label that the British company had stuck on his box to declare that the box contained a live animal and that he should be fed and watered, was written in English. No one in the cargo office could speak or understand the instructions. When I found him I discovered a water bottle that the company had attached to his cage had broken in transit and his cage was soaked. I complained to the company and the RSPCA in the UK. The RSPCA thanked me for my comments and Animal Airlines blamed the air carrier.