Name change after getting married to a Spanish citizen
Posted: 28 September 2006 06:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-05-02

Hi All,

I am a non-Spanish citizen and will soon be getting married to a Spanish citizen.  my question is about the possibility of a name change after our wedding. In my country, after getting married, the woman naturally adopts the last name of the husband.  Since we are also planning to have a church wedding in my country (after our civil wedding here in Spain), I am considering the options of changing my name right after our civil wedding here, or wait for our church wedding to happen in my country - when my name will be automatically changed - then proceed on having my “new name” legalized here.  I understand that my question might be confusing as I really don’t have any idea on how the name change should be dealt with.

I do hope someone will be able to enlighten me on a more desirable way to handle this.

Thanks and more power to the forum!

LaFilipina

Posted: 28 September 2006 08:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Are you sure you have to change your name? Perhaps you don’t… I’m not sure though!

Someone else?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 September 2006 02:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-05-02

I am sure I have to change my surname after getting married in our country.  That is according to our Code of Family law.  If there is any option of trying to retaining the name, am pretty sure there will be a long process for that.  Personally though,  I do like to obtain my fiance’s surname.. in short, I want to follow how names are changed after getting married in the Philippines.

Therefore, I want to know the process of changing my name to adopt the last name of my fianc? after our civil wedding here in Spain.  Any idea how this can be done? Or Any idea how tedious it will be?

Thanks again!

LaFilipina

Posted: 12 October 2006 12:40 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2006-08-24

It is not tedious. In Spain, with a fully, documented justification you can change last names. It needs a legal procedure before Courts though.

Signature 

Mar?a L. de Castro
Lawyer
http://www.costaluzlawyers.es
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 12 October 2006 01:22 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-05-02

Thank you for the reply.

May I know what are the document justification that will be required?  Also, would it cost a lot? Can I do the name change right after the civil wedding?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, once again.

LaFilipina

Posted: 23 October 2008 02:14 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-31
Web Designing - 23 October 2008 12:00 PM

The South Costa Blanca is an area south of Alicante, NOW YOU CAN GET A GREAT BARGAIN - ITS A BUYERS MARKET - Famous for its long hot summers and mild dry winters. The perfect climate to live in to help the symptoms for those who suffer with arthritis, heart conditions or for those who just want to live with blue skies and sun. The natural salt lakes, unique in the world, ensure a healthy and free of pollution atmosphere. The scenery is beautiful with the lakes, mountain backdrop, orange and lemon groves and the palm trees providing a true Mediterranean atmosphere.

What on earth?