Moving to Alicante from Orlando, FL any advice
Posted: 17 May 2008 11:26 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-17

I am going to be moving to Alicante from Orlando.  My fiancee’ lives there and at this moment in time it was not possible for her to move to the US.  I have traveled to Europe previously and I loved it.  I stayed on an American military housing village in Germany, but did travel outside the base.  That was back in 96 and things have changed quite a bit.  The village was open for anyone to come and go as they pleased with no guard station.  Is there any places like that in Spain?  To where I could visit with other Americans either civilians or even military?

From what I can tell it is very hard to find employment.  Also worried about arriving with a 1 way ticket.  I have been told about a cyber cafe and we are thinking about taking over the lease.

I was on a web site http://www.internationalliving.com/countries/spain/visa according to them it seems a lot easier to get visa to live in Spain if I am self employed.  I understand some very basic Spanish words and their meanings.  I would appreciate any advice as to I am really nervous about this move.

Posted: 17 May 2008 01:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Dont think a cyber cafe is a licence to print money there are loads of them and they come and go rapidly!

Assume you have Visas etc sorted ? also you cant swop an American licence for a Spanish one without taking the test, so you probably have some issues to sort out.

Alicante is a beautiful city with lots going on and lots of modernisation so you should be OK.

Good luck.

(Dont think there are any military bases in the area)

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 17 May 2008 07:20 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Dayna,
I didn’t find anything about self employment making it easier for your visa on that site, but it is true. Check out this one on working and being autonomo (self employed), starting a business and this one on making a living in Spain may help you get more creative about jobs.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 May 2008 07:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Dayna hi there well hope all gose will for you used to live in Fl Napes for few years love it but spain keep calling me back . the only place i know off wich was an
American military base was Torreta de Guardamar , here bit about it : Torreta de Guardanar is a mast radiator insulated against ground used for the transmission of orders to submerged submarines. It is made as lattice structure with triangular cross section. As it is in spite of its enormous height still low in relatio to the wavelength of the waves it transmittes, it is capacitive enlengthend by multiple ropes connected to its top and runing to basements around the mast. These guys are electrically connect to the mast and are divided in a certain distance by insulators. The transmitter using Torreta de Guardamar as antenna, is since its inauguration remotely controlled by the US Naval Communication Station in Rota. In opposite to other VLF transmitters as DHO38 in West-Rhauderfehn, it has obviously no fix frequency allocation by ITU and carries no callsign.

This installation is currently guarded by Spanish Infanteria de Marina, and is marked as ” Radio Estacion Naval - Antena LF 380 metros - Guardamar “
Torreta de Guardamar is a 370 metres tall guyed radio mast of the US military near Guardamar del Segura in Spain at 38?4’18"N, 0?39’52"W. Torreta de Guardamar was built in 1962 and is as well the tallest architectural structure on the Iberian peninsula as the tallest architectural structure used for military purposes in Europe.
think the nears place is U.S. Naval Station Rota (NAVSTA Rota) (ICAO: LERT) in Rota, Spain,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Station_Rota,_Spain

as robi sayed Dont think a cyber cafe is a licence to print money there are loads of them and they come and go rapidly!
what is you feild ? please
jurdy

Posted: 19 May 2008 10:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-17

Thank you all so very much for your advice.  I did not know that Cyber Cafes were even popular.  I am sure that operating one will be a challenge.  I am still getting most of the details squared away for my Visa.  It seems that I can take care of the majority of it over there.  While I see the only thing I have to do here in the US is get the local police department to issue me a letter stating that I have not caused any problems.  Again thank you all for your time and advice I really appreciate it.  I am really looking forward to moving to Spain.  I have always heard it is very beautiful there.