Health Certificate
Posted: 10 November 2006 06:22 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-07-25

Hi all,

I sort of breached this topic in another thread, but I felt it was improperly off topic, so I decided to make the inquiry here.  Essentially, the Spanish Consulate in London has given us 2 weeks to submit the documents that we were not able to present.  If we do not present them within 2 weeks, we lose the admin fee (something like 135GBP).

We did present a letter from an NHS doctor, but, since we do not have any medical history in the UK, all he was able to provide is a letter saying that as far as he knows, we do not have any symptoms of the quarantine diseases stated on the spanishexpat.com visa info page.  When the consulate saw this letter, they laughed at us.  Saying that anyone could write that, but it means nothing.  But they did not present an alternative.  The NHS will not test us for these things, and many people do not even do tests anymore for the Plague . . . yellow fever tests are quite expensive.  Drug tests are around 150GBP at private clinics.  What is a sufficient way to present this information credibly to the consulate?

Here is what is says on the spanishexpat.com site:

Original medical certificate typed on doctor?s stationary verifying that the applicant is free from the following quarantine diseases: yellow fever, cholera, and the plague. The certificate must also certify that the applicant is free of drug addictions and mental illness, with a translation into Spanish.

This is the medical requirement we got from the consulate after requesting an appointment:

Health Certificate on headed Doctor paper stating that the applicant is free from contagious and infectious diseases, mental illness and alcohol or drug addictions.

What is the appropriate examination to fulfill this requirement?  Will a general physical do?  Or do we need blood tests, urine samples, etc?  And how does someone test for mental illness?

Your help would be very much appreciated as time is of the essence!

Posted: 12 November 2006 10:51 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Wiseof. I think a general physical with a normal compliment of blood tests will do the trick. Visit your GP and explain the situation. Book for a physical.

That’s my advice, I’m not 100% on that though.

Good luck!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.