ADSL
Posted: 18 July 2006 11:58 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-07-18

I`m desperately trying to find broadband connection.  Telefonica can`t supply me.  I live near Guadalest.  Has anyone any ideas of where to contact?

Armanel

Posted: 18 July 2006 12:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Please tell me you read the Internet in Spain page already… there are plenty of other options to check out like 3G or satellite. Telefonica even provides satellite service, their customer service just wouldn’t know that 😉.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 July 2006 07:30 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

Yes, I had read the Internet in Spain page.  I should have added to my query - “at a reasonable cost”.  I`m a home user and satellite ADSL is too costly for me.  Thanks for your reply - I shall investigate 3G and Wifi.

Armanel

Posted: 18 July 2006 10:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Armanel,

What about these guys: http://www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/

Not sure how their prices sit with you, but at least it provides 2 way satellite, and in English I would imagine. You might be able to bring in wireless or satellite Internet through them for you and your neighbours, pooling together to cover the costs.

Unfortunately the 3G isn’t going to be much cheaper.

Good luck, and if you do find something I’m sure we could all use the info. Thanks.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 19 July 2006 09:01 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

I`ve already checked out avonline and they are too expensive also. 

The best option I`ve found so far is http://www.wipzona.es.  Unfortunately it`s not yet available in Guadalest - they say they need at least 20 people interested before they can install whatever needs to be installed!  I know very few people personally in the area.  Is there anyone out there near Guadalest, Benimantell, Beniarda, Abdet, Confrides who might be interested?  If there were enough interest we could perhaps approach wipzona.

Armanel

Posted: 22 July 2006 01:35 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-07-22

Hi,

Don?t really want to advertise our company here, just wanted to look around have see what people are saying however I noticed this post and wanted to let you know about getting up to 16,000 kps download using a GPRS kit + 1 way satellite system.

The GPRS systems are easily found in Movistar or Vodafone stores, my personal choice is Vodafone, but you need to check what will be ok in your area.

Once this is connecting to the internet at the slow speed you can then look in to getting a DSL pack from us, which for the basic capped 1m down feed is 6.90? per month and the top 16,000kps is 69.90?. There is a carriage charge which is normally approx 35?. Please check out our page regarding the system paste this in to the address box on i.e. Available on notebooks/laptop and standard Box PC systems.

Here http://www.cooler-pcs.com/content.cgi?parentpage=1&pageid=724

If anyone has any questions regarding this service please let us know.

Sorry for the plug.

Regards

Darren

Posted: 24 July 2006 08:32 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Darren,

I think you’re sitting on that line between plug and worthy information. Let’s all lean a little to the right on this one though since

I`m desperately trying to find broadband connection.

Aka, it’s all good.

Signature