American moving to Barcelona needs Laptop advice
Posted: 06 December 2006 05:25 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-09-21

I’m moving to Barcelona in two weeks and am in the market for a new laptop.  My concerns are: What OP system is most compatible for Europe.  2) Internet cards….should I be concerned with their performance in Europe?  3) Adaptor sets….?

I am not a technology expert by any means and would appreciate any advice.  My use of this laptop is for communication, correspondence (wordprocessing), and research.  I need to know that when I get to Barcelona, I will be able to walk to a Wifi Cafe and communicate with those back home until I am able to establish my own internet service.

I appreciate any responses.

Posted: 06 December 2006 07:20 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Lilith

Well we have a lot of information about the Internet situation in Spain, different ways to get it, compatibility issues (there aren’t any really), etc on our Spain Internet page. Specifically though I’d recommend an Apple computer in general, unless you’re an expert Windows user who enjoys the pain of Windows computing (okay, I’m biased, but biased as an ex-expert Windows user). I’ve noticed Apples are more popular among the expat crowd in particular though, any way you cut it. My mother just converted to Apple as well, and she’s not an expert with either Mac or Windows, she just saw me using my Mac at home and loved it.

No, there aren’t any issues with Internet cards, the ones that come with any new laptop are standard and will work just fine. There aren’t any adapters, although some new laptops don’t have old-school phone modems, which could be an asset if you are totally stuck without access to wifi or need to receive faxes on your computer, so you may have to pick up a modem adapter depending on what model of laptop you buy (just ask the salesperson).

Good luck and happy computing in BCN!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 December 2006 12:59 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-09-21

Thanks so much for your advice.  Unfortunately, feeling the time crunch, I bought an HP9500.  And, that was against the advice of my boyfriend who highly suggested an Apple.  I had no idea. 

My other question is…I will be temporarily living in the St. Gervasi area.  Where are some WiFi Cafes in that area.  Email will be my only form of communication for a couple weeks until I can establish a mobile phone and then in March, finally, ADSL in my apartment.  Or, better, are their apartment buildings that are set up with internet connections?

Thanks for this forum and all of your work.

Posted: 08 December 2006 04:13 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Um, take the HP back and get an Apple! Don’t listen to me, listen to your boyfriend! :D Quick quick

In Sant Gervasi… hmm. There’s a place called Mozart Cafe, I think it’s on Muntaner. In Gracia there are a few places with wifi. Check out my favourite, Lenon Cafe at Pl. de John Lennon. Great food, people and lots of sun outside. No electrical plugins is the only drawback, plus it’s quite a walk from Sant Gervasi (get a scooter perhaps). Otherwise your best bet (and what I used to do) is just walk around with your laptop open and keep checking for available signals (it’s called warwalking). There’s also a little $30 gadget that detects wifi signals that you can carry in a pocket. Pick one up at FNAC at Pl. Catalunya.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ call free      Sky TV - Galicia Region ››