Changing visa to residency in Spain
Posted: 11 December 2006 08:33 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-12-11

Can anyone advise me please? I?m a British citizen and have a Thai girlfriend. It has been suggested that if she gets a 90 Schengen visa for Spain and when we get there she could apply for residency. Is this possible or would she have to apply in Thailand at the Spanish embassy?

Thanks,

Phil

Posted: 11 December 2006 08:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Phil, are you guys going to get married? I don’t think she can get residency if no…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 11 December 2006 09:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-11

Thanks for your quick reply. No we?re not married. We applied to the Spanish embassy on the basis that we live together as common law husband & wife.

This is new legislation in 2004/38/EC
(http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004L0038R(01):EN:HTML)
in Art.2, 2b of the directive it states that cohabiting couples are eligible for residency with their EU partner.

However, the embassy here in Bangkok say that Spain doesn?t recognise cohabiting couples. I have since contacted Solvit (http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/index_en.htm) and am waiting to see if they can help me.

Posted: 11 December 2006 09:11 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, well I’d be interested to hear what happens. Do let us know.

How long have you been in Thailand? I’ve been here for a bit traveling around actually. Nice country, not sure about the people though… I miss Spain.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 11 December 2006 09:21 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-11

Hi The Expatriator, you said, ?I?ve been here for a bit traveling around actually? where do you mean, Thailand?

Posted: 11 December 2006 09:28 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Yeah, sorry, in Thailand. I’m in Bangkok at the moment, flying to San Francisco tomorrow morning. Spent most of my time in Koh Samui. Got out to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat too. Koh Chang was really nice too. Phuket’s a disappointement.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2006 05:13 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-12-12

My advise, contact an International Law Attorney, there are many in the area, I hire one who got it for me but very expensive, other Attorneys where cheaper but two of them failed to obtain in, so be carefull pay more but get it done!!!

Posted: 15 December 2006 06:05 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-12-15

I’m in a similar situation with my american girlfriend only I’m a spanish citizen. We have been living together for 1 year. I’ll be very interested in what you find out. I was thinking about registering her for a 1 year spanish study at the university so she would get a 12 month visa.

Posted: 15 December 2006 06:28 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Some Americans enroll in a year long course at a qualifying institution to get their educational visa, then drop out, collect some of their paid fees back and keep the 12 month visa… 😉

Signature