Ya.com problems.
Posted: 19 July 2006 06:31 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-07-19

Ya.com advertised a broadband package last November for 29.95 per month including free Spanish calls.
I still have the ad’.

A fluent Spanish speaking friend arranged this for me by ‘phone, gave them the reqired bank details etc. & it arrived,
It works fine but it’s slow.
However, they’re charching me 40.54 a month & I’m not getting any free calls.
I’m obviously not happy with this but as no-one at Ya.com speaks English I can’t communicate.
Nor I can I get any technical support if required.

I didn’t sign any contract, the equipment just arrived although as I’m using it I assume that’s ‘acceptance’.

This is too expensive &  I’m only at kindergarden stage with my Spanish so it isn’t suitable.

What if I write to them (in English) ask them to collect the router & just cancel the payments?

Will I be arrested??!! Any advise would be really welcome.

Posted: 19 July 2006 09:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Haha, well Mr. Goodhead. That’s quite the predicament, although not such an uncommon one in my experience!

I would imagine that the free calls are only to landlines, so 902 numbers and cell phones are not included. Just a guess though.

As for the English, this tends to be a problem siempre, so you might try out lingolink’s services. I think it’s lingolink.com. What about getting your friend to call them again? A neighbour perhaps? Pay someone on the forum to call for you? 😉 jk… or maybe not. You could after all. Not me though…

About not paying for it, I would advise against it if you’re planning to stay here a while, and 40 euros/month for ADSL and phone is really really cheap by international standards by the way, even if it doesn’t work very well.

Hope that counts as advice. Mucha suerte and welcome to the forum!

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 20 July 2006 02:09 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-20

what is the cheapest ISP in valnecia i would like to know

i saw ya.com for 19,95 i presume ya.com is t-com or t-mobile
wannado has 4 mb link for 40 eur
could anybody tell me that please because as soon as i come to spain i must have interenet and mobile phone(amena is the cheapest,so i’ve heard)

Posted: 20 July 2006 04:50 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-19

[

Ya.com are currently advertising broadband including free router & free Spanish calls for 19.95 a month
but take note of my posting - what you see isn’t necessarily what you get & it’s difficult to amend unless you speak fluent Spanish.

Good luck.

Posted: 20 July 2006 01:09 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-07-20

Hi goodhead,

First of all the router is yours, you dont have to give it back and you can leave any time you want without having to spend any time in one of the lovely and firendly spanish jail. Try Jazztel, call them and tell you dont speak spanish and you want service in english, maybe as a new customer they will do it. I’m with Ya.com as well and paying the same as you are. They have a new offer that is around 23 EU but it depends on the telephone lines around your neighbourhood.

Good luck

(Edit: link removed) Holiday Homes in Cadiz

Posted: 20 July 2006 02:32 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-19

Hi,

Thanks so much. This is a good site, very helpful.

Posted: 27 July 2006 10:00 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-07-27
goodhead - 20 July 2006 04:50 AM

[

Ya.com are currently advertising broadband including free router & free Spanish calls for 19.95 a month
but take note of my posting - what you see isn’t necessarily what you get & it’s difficult to amend unless you speak fluent Spanish.

Good luck.

I am on this deal and its been great. Only problem is my dodgy Telefonica installation in my apartment which I am trying to get fixed.

I logged a fault ( well a spanish work colleague did 😉 and Ya.com sent me a card saying sorry and a CD with songs all about Sorry !..lol

Anyway I have found the connection excellent and look forward to Telefonica getting the line fixed 😊

Posted: 28 July 2006 06:21 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-06-21

Ya.com sent me a card saying sorry and a CD with songs all about Sorry !..lol

are you serious? that’s hilarious… any good tunes?

Posted: 28 July 2006 08:47 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-07-27

Title of CD - Lo Siento

I’m Sorry - Brena Lee
Sorry seems to be the Hardest Word - Blue featuring Elton John
Sorry - Madonna
Perdona - Tiziano Ferro
Perdon - Vincente Fernandez

All packaged in a fold out card with a message and CD in side !

Posted: 11 November 2006 06:40 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-11-11

After reading some of the other posts I think I can clear up what may in some cases be a misunderstanding due to not being able to read or speak Spanish well enough.

Many years ago I had a 56 kps internet connection with CTV, wich was very good. They were taken over by Wanadoo the French company and I took up their offer to change to ADSL. But after about 1 year I left them because their service was unreliable. I had no problem leaving them, but had to give 1 month’s notice. I then switched to Yacom which is owned by the German Telephone company. The offer I took up was for 19.95 ?, (including free phone calls) but if you read the offer on their website you will see that price is only for the first 6 months. (At least it was when I took it up). Also take note that those prices do not include 16% IVA. tax.

I now pay 19.95 ? + 5 ? (For free calls throughout Spain, except mobile and 902 numbers.) + 16% IVA which comes to 28.94 ? per month. When you accept the 19.95 ? for the first 6 months contract than you are obliged to stay with them for 1 year,  which is fair enough considering that you also get a free router from them. Remember that you are always charged 1 month in advance, and so the first time they charge you it could be for nearly 2 months depending on when you were connected.

Like Goodhead I also did not get the free phone calls during the first month and when I phoned to ask why ....  the girl explained that you had to make that arrangement with them separately at another Yacom department who then take your details and arranges it for you with Telefonica. When you phone Yacom they give you all the different numbers to press to get the different departments for your particular problem. You can also do a few things yourself on their website such as create extra email addresses (you are allowed 10) or changing them. Changing your passwords. Checking your account to see what they have charged you for. Checking your contract, Changing your address etc. and their on-line shop from which I would stay well clear!

I am happy with my internet connection but my advise is to never buy from their shop. Last February I ordered a WiFi router, at a very good price, but upon arrival it did not work, and despite talking to them at least 20 times and them promising to send another, they have up till now not done so. I returned the dud WiFi last June and wrote them a registered letter but as yet they have not replied or reimbursed me. I have now made out a Hoja de Recalamaci?n at my local Consumer Office and will leave it for them to sort out. The man at the Consumer Office told me that they are all the same!

Although not mentioned in the above posts ....... I have heard foreigners complaining of not being able to get a ADSL connection. What they do not seem to realize is that ADSL lines are different from a ordinary telephone connection and not always available everywhere, or there may not be enough for the demand. This has nothing to do with Yacom or Wanadoo or any other provider, and so there is no point complaining to them about it. Also in some areas you can only get a 1 MB ADSL connection when you may want a 4 MB. On every provider’s website you will find a place where you can enter your telephone number to see if the ADSL connection you want is available for your number.

Hope this will help to clear up some misunderstandings.

Posted: 18 October 2007 01:00 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-18

Hi,

I’m using Ya.com since last november, and am quite happy with it. However, when I was signing up for the package, I wasnt aware of the Wifi Router option due to my “Tarzan” Spanish.. Is it possible to change my tarifa and get a wireless router instead of the one I already have?

Otherwise I’ll have to buy a new one as I’m sick of being non-mobile at home. In a previous posting, Richard has advised not to buy from their shop. But I’d still like to explore the possibilities. How can I access this shop? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance to whoever can give me some suggestions..

Funda

Posted: 18 October 2007 12:32 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-11

My advise not to buy from the YaCom tienda is because if your order gets damaged in transit or does not work properly than it is impossible to get hold of a responsible person you can deal with. Yacom is too large and every time you phone you get someone else who has nothing to do with the shop and you have to go through the whole story again. As I stated in my previous post I finally placed a copy of the letter I wrote them in Spanish and the factura in the hands of my local Consumer Office who passed it on to their Madrid office and some 3 months later the amount was credited to my YaCom account ..... nearly 1 year after I ordered it!

If your Spanish (including written) is not good than than that is even more reason to stay well clear of them unless you are a masochist, and go to one of the large electronic warehouses and buy your wifi router there which is what I did in the end. Not all wifi routers are equal and that way you have a good choice. Or you can buy from one of the many Spanish internet shops which sell a wide range of makes at very good prices .... just Google for them in the Spanish version of Google. I have used them often and always had very good service.

Other than the shop I am very satisfied with my yacom ADSL service .... they even upgraded me to 3 MB recently for a smaller monthly fee! However it is not just a question of price ... unlike when I was with Wanadoo I have always had a good connection any time of the day or night.

Posted: 18 October 2007 12:47 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-18

Thanks a lot RicardoX.. That’s really good advise.

One more question: Do I need to get a new router with wireless property or is it ok to attach “access point” device to my router and it works all the same?

Posted: 18 October 2007 02:49 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-11-11

I am sorry but I do not really understand what you mean by wireless property or ?access point?. In my own case I just switched the ordinary router for a wifi router ..... they both connected identically to the main desktop computer. You than have to open the router menu in your internet browser and set it up in order to be able to connect to it with your laptop. Read the information carefully and set good passwords as otherwise others within radio range can connect to it as well and even access your computer data.

Posted: 18 October 2007 03:55 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-10-18

Thanks. That’s the info i was looking for. Cheers.f.