EU adopts Blue Card scheme for skilled migrants
Posted: 14 June 2009 11:16 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

The new “Blue Card” seems like it could be a great new ticket into Spain! The EU approved the plan a couple weeks ago, but sounds like it could take up to two years for it to go into affect in various countries. It’s for “highly skilled” migrants…  Does anyone know where one could find details on eligibility? And/or about the time frame? The UK has a longstanding similar program where you just need to have a master’s degree, be fluent in English and make a decent salary in your home country.  (Being young gets you extra points too..)

Anyway here are the details about the Blue Card from the media:

EU adopts Blue Card scheme for skilled migrants

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS ? The EU on Monday (25 May) adopted plans for a European Union work permit aimed at attracting highly skilled foreigners to the bloc, similar to the US’ Green Card.

Dubbed the Blue Card, it will allow foreign workers to be employed in any EU member state except Great Britain, Ireland and Denmark and enjoy limited social and welfare rights for themselves and their family members for a renewable period from one to four years.

The 24 member states who have signed up for the scheme will have two years to transpose it into national law.

They will grant Blue Card holders equal treatment with nationals when it comes to “working conditions, including pay and dismissal”, recognition of qualifications, the right to participate in trade unions and limited social security and pension rights, as well as access to housing and counselling.

The permit allows for restricted movement between member states. “After 18 months of legal residence in the first member state as an EU Blue Card holder, the person concerned and his family members may move, under certain conditions, to a member state other than the first member state for the purpose of highly qualified employment,” the text reads.

The original proposal, initially tabled in 2007 by the European Commission, was watered down after concerns by member states that it would allow Brussels to interfere too much in their national labour markets.

New member states also pointed out that the Blue Card would discriminate against their own workers, who still face restrictions in some old member states like Germany.

Punishment for hiring illegal immigrants

The directive was formally adopted at a ministerial meeting on Monday in Brussels. The EU ministers also approved a set of common standards and sanctions against employers ? both individuals and companies - who illegally hire foreign immigrants.

The new rules aim to “put an end to abuses by unscrupulous employers who make contracts with illegally-staying [workers] providing them in the labour market with low salaries and poor labour conditions.”

They require employers to ensure that their non-EU workers hold a valid residence permit and keep a copy of that document for inspection. Employers will also be obliged to notify national authorities when they hire a non-EU national.

Failure to comply will mean fines “which will increase in amount according to the number of illegally employed foreigners” as well as the payment of the return costs for the illegal non-EU employees.

A harsher sanction could see employers of illegal workers excluded from public funding schemes and participation in public tenders.

Posted: 20 June 2009 09:13 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

Anybody heard of this?

Posted: 20 June 2009 01:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Sorry if this sounds negative but I believe it is realistic -

Spain is notoriously slow in implementing EU legislation (and then it always has its own interpretation! and regional variances and lack of understanding) and given its current high unemployment levels and its excellent education system producing many (too many?) qualified people I can’t see this system providing an early gateway to those that ‘qualify’ to arrive in Spain.

But good luck!

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 20 June 2009 04:21 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

it all ready happen in Ireland . sine 3 june this year . but where jobs ? Punishment for hiring illegal immigrants fine have gone up to the owner off companys and lot new rules about hiring outside EU works now ,

jurdy

Posted: 21 June 2009 12:17 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I hate to send traffic elsewhere 😉 but the guys/girls over at EU Blue Card are all over this. We will have to update our site’s legal section as soon as someone can pin down the information on this, so far elusive but exciting, option for non-EU-ers.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 June 2009 12:45 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I’ve also gone ahead and started a new thread for us to all to compile info on the new EU Blue Card here.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 June 2009 01:18 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

Ok… Sorry But I have to be direct and Truthful about This EU and Americas Thing that?s posted here….

I have “A Large Family” that Are American, Canadian, Spanish, German, Dutch, English Etc (What Can I Say my Mum and Dads Family couldn?t obviously Travelled!)

When I apply for a visa to Visit them (As UK Citizen) I get hell on earth treatment to get a year visa…

All I have to say is that Non EU Citizens are getting there Karma thrown back at them

Until the Americas Sorts out its “RED TAPE” the EU Is going to be tough with its immigration?

A Tooth for a tooth and all that?.

I have to voice this as I am always Annoyed when it comes to Non EU Citizens Voicing there Crap how difficult it is to get in the EU to work?

You need to know how we The EU citizens feel when we do the Same to the Americas ITS IMPOSSIBE SOMETIMES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh that?s better…

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:51 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-27

I don’t think anybody said anything about the U.S.  This Blue Card would only serve to make the EU about “as easy” as the US to emigrate to.  But, it’s still not going to be easy, just like it isn’t easy in the US.

I think the Blue Card will most benefit highly educated people from poorer countries that previously had a harder time than Americans coming to the EU.

But, I agree with you, I wish it were easy to move between the US and the EU. I don’t see why not… they both have high standards for immigration, and comparable economic status.  Anyone who is able and motivated enough to make the move overseas from the US/EU would probably have something valuable to contribute to the country in question…  alas.