I sound like a cheapskate but…
Posted: 01 September 2009 06:00 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-03-04

...I’m absolutely pink lint since hubby got made redundant. I’m thinking of getting a job teaching English just to get some income rather than none. I am under no misconception that I’ll make a regular or decent income from this just a few extra pennies here and there.

The problem is, for a job that potentially pays a third world salary the courses are extortionate!

The lowest I have seen so far is 150 quid. Now I know you pay for the quality and blah blah blah but a teacher is only as good as his pupil and in that respect I’m quite good at learning off my own back.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to just pay to sit the exam and find your own learning resources? The whole idea of paying for tuition seems like a bit of a con to me. I studied for and passed my A-levels as a private candidate so I don’t really share the classroom mentality. Besides, you only learn as fast as the slowest student in the class anyway, not much point if you ask me.

Thanks in advance guys

Emma

Signature 

“Interesting concept Mr Spack, now where do we find a Pelican?”

Insane asylum escapee offering many useless services such as:

Website design, Freelance journalism/content writing/editing and photography

PM me for info
Seeks Babysitter near La Cala for Bratlings.

Posted: 08 September 2009 10:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

I don’t think a 150 quid course is going to do you much good…  the CELTA is the standard for entry level training, and that’s well over 1000 euros.
Random online TEFL traning is a wast of money, I’ve heard.

I’ve also heard that the CELTA is a very tough course.. and that you do learn a lot about teaching foreign language properly. Most of the people you’ll be up against for jobs will have this training, so it seems like it’s worth it to get it.

The only way out of it, that I know of, is to find an employer that provides on-the-job training.  You should go to madridteacher.com, they have information on a lot of language schools and what kind of experience they look for. Some require none..  once you get six months of experience or so you can switch to another job without the CELTA.

Another option would be to just start offering private lessons on your own and charge people by the hour.. you could just post online ads, or ask other English teachers you know for referrels.

Posted: 08 September 2009 10:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-03-04

Thanks very much for the input, I didn’t realise there was a specific course that was required. When you look online TEFL and TESOL seem to be the bees knees! Huh funny how things can be misconstrued over the net isn’t it?

Again, thanks for the info and maybe it will be worth checking out the CELTA when I have some more money.

=]

Signature 

“Interesting concept Mr Spack, now where do we find a Pelican?”

Insane asylum escapee offering many useless services such as:

Website design, Freelance journalism/content writing/editing and photography

PM me for info
Seeks Babysitter near La Cala for Bratlings.

Posted: 08 September 2009 10:46 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

If you’re looking to pick up some extra money, I’d recommend forgoing a course and just gleaning what you can from the Internet. This might also help: http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/resources_for_the_english_teacher_in_spain/.

I’d look at investing in the CELTA only if you were looking at teaching English as a career choice.

Posted: 08 November 2009 11:37 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-10-04

yes, you can teach English as a EU citizen easily but having taken a course that teaches you the fundamentals is extremely valuable.  For example, phrasal verbs, an explanation of all the tenses and how they are compared to the use in the Spanish language. Present simple, present continuous present perfect, present perfect continuous and then the same with past, future and the passive voices.  It is much more difficult once you are in front of the classroom.  Spaniards have been studying grammar for years.  Their biggest problem is putting it to use. If you are not up to date on the nuances of the language, the WILL call you on it in class which can be embarrassing.

They don?t have axillary verbs such as BE, DO and Have.  How do you teach to use either BE, DO, Have or any of the other Modal verbs we have to ask a question?  DO you want some coffee?  In Spanish this is asked, Want some coffee?  Also Have you got a pen?  In Spanish - You have pen? Are you bored?  In Spanish You bored?  How do you teach which axillary to use and when?

There are many more nuances to take into consideration.

Now many academies are only hiring certified teachers although there are some that don?t and the pay is commensurate. Most certifications cost the same around 1250 euros.  Those that are lower, offer slave labor to work off the rest which is not advisable.

Contact me for more information.  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 10 November 2009 05:39 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

I would agree. Spanish to English grammar is not only very challenging for native English speakers but, well, fun. Take the full TEFL course from somewhere. It’s eye-opening and the networking provides critical opportunities these days.

Work in Spain: Wouldn’t the use of Haber be considered auxilliary? ?Has estudiado la gramatica en la escuela? :D

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 10 November 2009 03:09 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-10-04

WEll, you know.  I?m not sure.  I have never heard the mention of axillary verb while studying Spanish.  By the way, your example is apropos.  I am certain that one does not need a “helping veb” to ask a question or express a negative statement.  So, I?m gonna say NO.  I could be wrong but that is my OPINION and I?m sticking to it…

Posted: 16 January 2010 04:11 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-16

Just to come in here concerning the CELTA: Unless you can explain the difference(or are they synonyms?) between ‘Gleam’, ‘Glint’ and ‘Glisten’ you probably need intensive training and the CELTA course will probably be the best 1000 Euros you ever spend. No question, the course gives you the confidence to answer all those ‘tricky’ questions students sometimes ask. You won’t have to rely on that old teacher’s favourite: ‘A gerund? umm, why don’t you research that as homework Alejandro?’
There are hundreds of useless TEFL courses out there and oftentimes they are only valid at the training centre/school that issued them. CELTA allows you to walk into most teaching jobs anywhere in the world as prospective employers know full well that the training on the course is brilliant. Rather save up your dosh and make a real investment, trust me. English teaching is very competitive, especially now in these times of economic crisis. Only the best are offered jobs and the CELTA puts one way in front of the line.

then again, as the old saying goes: the trick to being a good English teacher is pretending to have known your whole life what you just learnt this morning from the teacher’s book.

good luck!

Posted: 29 June 2010 03:03 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-29

Being able to work and teach English abroad
at home gives me more time with loved ones.  Whether I?m working and make money online
in the same room as my fianc?e or in the next room, just being ?near by? is enough to make me feel more comfortable.
And since I can travel and visit family and work at the same time, it?s a perfect situation to be with everyone and not lose out on how to teach English online and get money

Signature 

english as a second language
english vocabulary
english teacher