Promises Promises from Jazztel about selling 20MB
Posted: 20 July 2012 11:40 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Has anyone tried Clearwire? http://www.clearwire.es/home.php

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 21 July 2012 12:18 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

4g is not full role out in spain , and way the moblie company are cutting back on there system , think only main citys will have it ...

Posted: 21 July 2012 12:28 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

lioness

receive 8.5 downloads, not the 10 promised

Movistar / Telefonica didn’t actually promise you 10Mbps… what they actually said was up to 10Mbps. One tends to lose about 20-25% in line losses even if you live right on top of the local switching centre as we do.

Up until March of this year we were on a 3Mbps service which varied between just acceptable and very poor, then after many many complaints from us, Movistar updated our service to 6Mbps and at the same time reduced our original ADSL charge from 40? to 29.99?

However with the upgrade they also moved the goalposts in respect of what they consider to be acceptable; under the old 3Mbps scheme one could legitimately report a problem if the speed dropped below 1Mbps download, now the acceptable minimum download speed is just 512Kbps and Movistar will not accept there is a problem until download speeds drop below this figure.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 21 July 2012 01:03 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

RE Clearwire - This is my experience:

We signed up with a local agent called Fonetica (who we then never saw again and had difficulty contacting whenever we had connection issues… which was often!)... They were an agent for ‘Alo’... Our contract/bills came from Madrid (or Barcelona?) Fonetica were paid to repair the line/signal when it was down, but sometimes the signal would be off for days.
Alo then sold out to Clearwire… A player in the potentially big market of G4. 
We (and the other 200 users of this network in our area), still had ongoing technical issues (I think the equipment on the mountain nearby was old and in desperate need of upgrading.)
Then out of the blue we had just one months notice (by phone and not even in writing), that Clearwire were pulling the plug on our service - to everyone!

I heard through the grapevine that the reason they invested in the first place was to promote G4 in the area as they would have a monopoly on the radio signal/equip in the area.
I am all for ?upgrading?, but to leave people high and dry (and no return on investment on equipment we had had to invest in), was very morally wrong.
I do not know if they eventually transmitted G4 from Mijas, but we changed to another supplier as soon as we could find someone*?.

These people do not care about customers in my experience?

PS- The Alo system had run for several years and they were still signing people up before this sell out (and asking clients to spend up to Eu300 on the equipment install.)
NB *Thankfully there are now at least 2 or 3 other private providers in the campo area we lived in, as even telefonica will not give you a radio signal. So at least there is now a choice (but at the time Alo were the ONLY ONES.)

Posted: 21 July 2012 01:51 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Current 4G cover in Spain…. see pic! It’s a bit sparse to say the least!

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 23 July 2012 01:38 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

well all down to TF blocking every company in spain ... if in city with cable , you fine and Telef?nica are fight for the business , but out in open .... forget it , Telef?nica’s ?127m fine for anti-competitve broadband upheld by EU court
EU court rules that Telef?nica’s ?127 million fine for blocking competition stands .

as in 4g ..... you only get big city area , the main networks are cutting back cell towers , many want to look at you coverage as come september some tower will be on the Decommissioning list and take away at later date ... the mobile operators have losses . 1 in revenue trun down 2 funding loss 3 incress in free by CMT.es
no 3g is two add to the networks
all down to cost savings ....

we try to role out faster dsl and we up against a wall here in spain with one big runners .... until thay change you going get slow net , and dosent mater who with

Posted: 24 August 2012 03:29 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-08-24

Hi

Just joined the forum and I’ll try to give a bit of a profile introduction in the appropriate thread.

This thread caught my eye! I give PC/Internet etc. etc. etc. support here in Spain and have been through several nightmares with Telefonica and others.

I actually changed to Jazztel this year, asked for the 30Mbs service and they informed me I could get the 20Mbs service, this for 18.95?/month (plus line rental) until May 2013. The changeover was absolutely perfect and I get a constant 16Mbs download and .95Mbs upload. Occasionally (a couple of times a month) the speed drops badly, which is generally cured by rebooting the router.

I’m in Fuengirola, within the town.

I don’t work for Jazztel 😉

Posted: 18 February 2013 05:02 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-08-24

Just thought I’d give an update regarding Jazztel. I have continued to get a very good ADSL service and have recommended to several other people a couple of them signed up and are also very happy, Jazztel have a ‘Plan Amigos’ referral offer and I have indeed received discounts and a hamper over the holiday period.

Now here’s the crunch! I moved to a new apartment, there was a time overlap and so installed a new Jazztel line which was and is very good, whilst keeping the old line. I have been trying to cancel the old contract for three weeks, made several calls, kept on hold for 20, 30, 40 minutes at a time and each time either cut off or they ask for more information, even asking for the name of my bank (even though they have every other bit of information!

This is obviously deliberately obstructive! I managed to get a FAX number which turned out to be non-existent. The chap in the locutorio (with the Fax. machine) commented that they had the same problem with Jazztel and ended up having to denounce them after six months of trying to cancel.

I am now writing to their head office, have cancelled the Direct Debit and maybe raise a complaint against them…

Obviously, Jazztel have learned alot from Telefonica!

“Welcome to the Hotel Telefonica…You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave” - With apologies to The Eagles!

< 1 2
2 of 2
‹‹ Telefonica hostage      WIMAX ››