Non-EU national wants to move to Spain with non-EU family—any insight you can provide is appreciated
Posted: 11 May 2010 06:23 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-10

We’re a family of four.  I am self employed and do all my work in the U.S. via phone and internet.

Browsing this site I see where I can come to Spain as a non-working long term resident but will have to show $75,000 or so in assets.  I don’t have that.  In fact I don’t have a ton of money to show but we get by.  My wife and I thought we could make out as well being broke in Europe as we made out being broke in the U.S. while exposing our kids to different cultures.  As a friend of mine says, travel and experiencing different cultures is the best education.  Also we want to help them see life through a different lens instead of American eyes.  (What an eye-opener this has been for them in some cases!)

So what do you recommend?  Should we come to Spain as holiday makers for 90 days and work on getting a self-employment visa while in the country?  Or should we try and work that out, outside of the country?

And with the self-employment visa, on this website it indicates that I don’t need a big bank account to come to Spain, just all the appropriate medical and legal documents.  So that looks like the way to go but what has been your experience?

Right now I’m in Ireland.  We came here hoping to live long term.  We were told we could when we were in the U.S. but now that we’re here things have changed and we’re being told, “No, they told you wrong, you’re going to have to leave.”  We’ve been round-and-round with the Justice Department and Garda and keep getting conflicting stories.  There is a slight hope I can get a “Stamp 3” in my passport which will allow me to continue to be self-employed but no hope for my 18 year old.  Yes, we could fly under the radar but we want to do things legally and hey, what kind of example would I be setting for my kids if I did so!?!

So with all the foregoing, any suggestions?

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2010-01-25

The only thing I can say is good luck. From everything that I understand, you’re going to have to apply for and wait for the visas in the US. And don’t forget that if you’re broke in the states and earning dollars, you’re currently 1.27 times more broke here in the EU. How are you going to get healthcare for you and your clan?

You really need to get to the local embassy/consulate to start asking. And, how’s your family’s Spanish?

Posted: 12 May 2010 12:23 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Bill: People gotta move. I loath the kinds of rules that prevent us from doing exactly what you’re describing and completely sympathize.

That said, you’re kinda SOL. Right now there’s a lot of red tape in these matters and the scrutinizing is getting worse. You really have to talk to a lawyer about your situation. If you’re self employed for real, then there’s a shot you can move your business to Spain and get approved for a visa but it’s not a good shot right now. I suggest talking to my friends at http://www.strongabogados.com. They’re American/Spanish and will certainly sympathize with your story (they may not give you a discount, but they’ll probably know the ins and outs of getting through the system by starting up a business).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 17 May 2010 07:50 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-17

If you need to come to Spain for work, you have now a new service called ORYENT through which we can help you to find a solution.

Depending on what kind of business you are doing (or thinking in doing) as a self employee, we will investigate your potential chances here.

We recommend you our service: Work in Spain : http://orientayencuentra.com/en/Portfolio.php

Take a look at it on our website and contact us!!

Best Regards

ORYENT