Work Visa/ Company Sponsorship
Posted: 29 January 2007 03:06 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-01-27

Hi,

So I’ve read the articles and postings related to the Spanish Work Visa, but my questions remain. Is it absolutely necessary that the company that sponsors me toward a work visa contract me for 40 hours a week, or can it be, say, 30-35? Or, if the contract is for 40, can the amount of hours change in the future (once the paperwork has gone through) without jeopardizing my visa status?

Any and all guidance will be appreciated. These are the details that general postings and sites related to work visas don’t address.

Thanks,

Sonja

Posted: 29 January 2007 03:25 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well, that’s a damn good question.

I believe that 30-35 hours would be fine, but I’ll see if I can find out and let you know.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 January 2007 03:30 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-27

Thank so much. It gets a little overwhelming to just roam from site to site looking for an answer to such a specific question. Haven’t a clue where else to go, save an immigration lawyer’s office 😊 Nice moon, by the way.

Cheers,

Sonja

Posted: 29 January 2007 01:14 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-12-15

As far as I understand it (and I’m no expert on this) is that the standard full-time contract in Spain is 40 hours. This is what is written on the contract which is registered with INEM. The company I work for has this official contract which says 40 hours and then a private contract with the employees which says 35 hours. This allows us to get the benefits of a full-time contract but not work 40 hours. There obviously has to be trust between the employer and employee in this situation so no one gets screwed!

Posted: 29 January 2007 08:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-27

Thanks Sallok. That’s very helpful information. I was wondering if things like that happened (ie: legal paperwork says one thing, but company and employee work out something else). I guess my luck with this will depend upon how relaxed the company is 😊

I’ve got a couple more questions if you (or anyone else!) has a second.

1) Are salary specifications set in stone with the creation of the contract for obtaining the visa, or is that also something potentially changeable between company and employee down the road.

2) I read somewhere that once I have the work visa, THEN I have to file for a residency visa to live here. How does the timing of it all work? Is it okay for me to begin working immediately after the work visa goes through, even though I won’t have my residency visa yet?

I very much appreciate your time and feedback 😊

Cheers,

Sonja

Posted: 30 January 2007 12:26 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

1. Not sure about the salary question.

2. Your work visa will be fine for as long as it’s valid.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 January 2007 03:08 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-27

Thanks, Amoonistrator. Maybe someone else has an idea about the salary question.  In your response to my number 2, do you mean that as long as my work visa is fine, I don’t need to pursue getting a residence visa? Or is it that there is no time pressure to get the residence visa once I hava a valid work visa? Not sure what you mean.

Cheers,

Sonja

Posted: 30 January 2007 04:58 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t believe you need to get your residence visa, your work visa allows you temporary residence in the country. You’ll probably want to go for full residency later however.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2007 11:37 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-27

Thanks much. I’ll let you know if I learn anything new as I move through the process. Happy to pass on what I can to help the next stumbler along.

Sonja

Posted: 31 January 2007 02:47 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-01-27

Hi Chris,

I’d say that working in Spain for some 20 years most certainly gives you some authority on the matter. I suppose I just need to make sure that all discord between the INEM contract and the private contract works in my favor. Thanks for the coaching. Definitely good information that I’m certain will help me avoid landing some alarming pitfalls! I think I’m still kind of throwing around the question about the minimum hours required to be contracted toward a visa in the first place. Any clue? I’ve heard that 35 should be enough, but nothing difinitive.

Thanks again!

Sonja