Bringing handgun into the country.
Posted: 15 March 2007 11:17 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-15

I might be moving to Spain from the USA and have a couple of handguns. Are these permited and if so how do I go about getting these registered?
Thanks

Posted: 15 March 2007 03:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-04-14

NOT ALLOWED. Only the Policia Nacional, Guardia Civil, and Policia Local are allowed firearms. It takes about a year to get licensed in Spain due to all the background checks, and even then only hunting rifles are allowed. Don’t get caught trying to bring one in. The Embassy won’t help you if you do. Besides, it’s safer here than in any city I can think of in the US

Signature 

What was I doing? Oh yeah, now I remember…

😊-

Posted: 15 March 2007 06:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Yes, thank God you don’t have to worry about punk-ass kids with guns shooting at each other for territorial rights to the corner market. You don’t have to worry about your kids finding their friends’ fathers’ gun in the closet and shooting themselves. You can honk your horn in traffic without being worried about getting blown away for upping the anty with your middle finger…

You still have to lock your doors though - lots of thieves.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 15 March 2007 07:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-03-15

Thanks for the replies guys!