Processing Time for Retirement Visa??
Posted: 19 December 2006 04:53 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-12-19

Hello, I live in the USA and I’ve submitted a retirement visa application for living in Spain in August, it has already been 4 months…does anyone know generally how long before I may receive my visa approval??

The woman at the Spanish consulate in New Orleans told me originally that I should have no problem as she looked at all my documents (financial, police and medical records) but told me it takes a while.

I never thought it would go past 4 months and longer.

Thanks

Posted: 22 December 2006 01:14 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Four months isn’t totally unreasonable nor unheardof.

Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 29 December 2006 06:19 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

Expatriator, I did that mid-December, spoke to the kind woman at the New Orleans consulate—who remembered me well. She looked it up on her computer, told me it was listed as still pending, and to be patient. I contacted an immigration lawyer in Spain via the internet who was recommended to me (“Joeseph A. CUETARA” <delacuetara@telefonica.net> ). He said 4 months is too long, 2 months is normal—that perhaps my papers were not in order…they were though because the consulate person reviewed them with me. The 2 months is average contradicts what many people tell me, that often it is 3 - 6 months. He say he can help with any “problems” the visa might be having, but I worry that perhaps he is an alarmist and maybe looking for a nice fee.

Any further advice?? Should I call again when I reach 5 months in January or not to pester her in New Orleans…though I AM getting antsy, I’m ready to sell my house and move already.

Thanks again!!

Posted: 29 December 2006 08:28 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2006-02-09

I doubt there’s too much the lawyer would be able to do at this point. If you don’t get approved however, you might consider the lawyer’s services to ensure things are in order next time.

But yeah, I think you just need to wait it out a bit longer. Sorry!

Signature 

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Facebook for updates, advice, news, and highlights.

Posted: 13 February 2007 06:50 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

I am now 5 1/2 months and counting, spoke to the Embassy woman again in mid January, she told me to be patient…that the last retirement visa took almost 6 months. Is there any way to enquire at Madrid without getting anyone upset? Also, why does this process take so long.

Posted: 12 April 2007 12:51 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

Well, it’s now been close to 8 months since my application, the embassy woman in New Orleans told me she emailed Madrid and they told her there was no problem with the visa (2 months ago) and they had forwarded it to Alicante, where I will live.

But when I call her, she continues to tell me there is nothing she can do and cannot call again—that I must simply wait.

Is there ANYTHING I can do, anylne I can contact to see what the holdup is, being she says it usually takes but 6 months.

Thanks for any help

Posted: 24 April 2007 05:33 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-12-19

visa finally arrived, thanks

Posted: 24 April 2007 08:06 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
bbildman - 24 April 2007 05:33 PM

visa finally arrived, thanks

It did??? I can’t believe it! Congratulations! I was starting to worry about it for you!

Wow, eight months eh?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 April 2007 09:07 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-12-12

8 months!!! Take them to court!!! and I believe you pay anyways!!!

‹‹ Diabetes      Some information please ››