Spanish/Catalan lessons?
Posted: 28 April 2007 11:12 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-04-24

We’re moving to Ibiza mid May and i just wondered if anyone knows if Spanish/Catalan lessons will be available over there? (and how much it’s likely to cost?)
I know the children will be fine as they will study Spanish, Catalan (and German!) at school!
Myself and my partner speak a little Spanish and Catalan but would quite like to become fluent (ish) a.s.a.p!
Also would be grateful to learn of anyone’s opinion as to whether Spanish or Catalan should be taking learning priority during the next few weeks before we go?

Posted: 28 April 2007 12:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-13

I am living outside Barcelona in a small city called Manresa.  I took a Catalan course that was run by the ajuntament and was free.  It was only neccessary for me to buy the books.  So, when you get to the town you are staying in be sure to ask if it is offered.  The govt here in Catalunya wants foreigners to learn this language to preserve ?their history and culture.  So, be sure to inquire at the ajuntament/ayuntamiento.

Which language to concentrate on….Spanish, Spanish, Spanish…A native would kill me for saying so, but if you have studied Spanish before or atleast speak some, I think it is much easier to learn spanish first and you will pick up Catalan alon the way.  Remember that EVERYONE speaks both Catalan and Spanish.  So, it’s not like you will ever have a problem communicating if you do not speak Catalan.  Once you can speak catalan or show them that you are attempting to adapt to their language and culture, you may be accepted by more people. 

Good Luck to you.

Mike

Posted: 28 April 2007 09:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Couldn’t agree more Mike.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.