Need some good ISP advice. Please advise!
Posted: 02 May 2007 02:01 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-02

Hi,
My parents have retired to Spain (near Almoradi) and have decided they finally need a PC. I have bought them a laptop (with built in wireless technology) and will be bringing it out from the UK in 2 weeks. I’m hoping to get them online whilst I’m there. They are currently looking for a suitable ISP. I’ve been ‘net researching but am finding it a bit tricky and was hoping someone here could advise me on a good one they can go for.

They are talking about one called Europa that, apparently, offers a service for 18 Euros a month, but I can’t find any mention of them online.
Essentially, they want something under 20Euros a month (so I think that rules out ya.com) and only want to do basic surfing (no heavy downloading!) so about 2mbs will be fine. Wireless is not terribly important as they seem quite happy to plug it into a modem and sit on the sofa (though I think wireless would be better!).

Basically, the simpler the better as they’ve never had a PC and it’s all going to be a bit “black magic” to them! Plus the fact that I’ve never had to configure a wireless router before, but I’ve installed broadband with a modem.

Is it feasible that they will be “internet ready” within 2 weeks?
I’ve probably left out some important info here so please ask if I have.
Obviously time is of the essence so any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks a lot
Mark

Posted: 02 May 2007 02:10 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hi Mark,
Did you see our bit about the Internet in Spain yet? Your best bet is to call each of them and see who can install the service in less than 2 weeks. Most people will tell you the wait time is around 15-20 days, so you might be pressed for time.

Also, why not look at a Mac instead of a PC? 😉 It’s so much easier for newbies and has all the power they could ever want. Plus they’re sexy.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 May 2007 02:19 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-02

Hi,
A mac is a little out of their price range I’m afraid (and I’ve already ordered a notebook from Dell)!

I read the article and it was all very helpful, but the range of options is a little overwhelming (and the sites are all in Spanish), so I’m being a little lazy and fishing for first hand advice from people in the know like yourself!

I have a feeling they’re going to go for this Europa lot but, as I say, I can’t see a mention of them anywhere so I don’t know where they’ve got their info from!

It’s all a bit much frankly…(o:

Thanks again
Mark