Advice needed for mobile
Posted: 30 April 2007 04:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-04-30

Hello!

I just posted a topic in another section. I?m moving to Spain from Germany in a couple of weeks. Since I will be staying in a hotel whilst looking for a flat and since the landline connection and ADSL will take a while I guess what is the best way to stay internet connected with your laptop in thie time ? G3 technology? Is there a way for a time limited contract or a prepaid card? Is it better to buy it once in Spain or here in Germany (like the vodafone one). Is it better to rely on services like FON or try to steal the Wi FI signal? Ah most important thing I?m going to move in the area near Bilbao (2 minutes from Bilbao airport)

Cheers

Micky

Posted: 01 May 2007 04:32 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Micky,

Hehe, I used to just “borrow” wifi for about a year when I first got here. It’s pretty easy to do if you have the right tools. And it’s called wardriving in case you need to do some more searching.

I’d get the 3G card from Vodafone after you get here though. Otherwise check out our info about getting the Internet and 3G in Spain here.

Hope that helps…

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 02 May 2007 11:26 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-04-30

Hi Expat!

Thank you for rapid reply.

So you think there are open Wi Fi sources around in Spain? If so maybe I do not need a G3 connection, since I?m planning anyway to get an ADSL connection as soon as I rent a flat.

BTW I?m a mac user so can u suggest me a good program for mac for wardriving?

Cheers

Micky

Posted: 02 May 2007 11:27 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey Micky, mac stumbler is okay-ish. There are, obviously, much better tools for windows and Linux.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.