Will I be credit checked when opening a bank account in Spain
Posted: 08 February 2010 05:54 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-08

Hi

I have recently moved to Spain from the UK and need to open a bank account. My question is will I be credit checked when opening a new account?

Any advise would be more than welcome.

Many Thanks

Posted: 08 February 2010 08:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12
johndb - 08 February 2010 05:54 PM

Hi

I have recently moved to Spain from the UK and need to open a bank account. My question is will I be credit checked when opening a new account?

Any advise would be more than welcome.

Many Thanks

For People that have left the UK because of Bad debt or Bankruptcy The debt follows you Around…

As of July 2009 Credit Agencies Now give Information Of the person requesting Loans, New accounts etc..

So yes They do Credit Check and always have done.

Mac

Posted: 09 February 2010 03:28 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

I had 3 account in Spain and have never been credit checked,

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:02 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi,

I have also have several bank accounts here and never had credit checks.

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
MAC31 - 08 February 2010 08:52 PM

Mac

I would like to think so, otherwise ‘the bad ones’ will end up regurgitating more bad credit into an already high unemployment Country :(

DSB.

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:50 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

The kind of bank accounts we are talking about are bog standard accounts with standard debit cards, no loans or overdraft.How can they end up with “bad credit “and effect the unemployment.

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:55 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
pepsi - 09 February 2010 04:50 PM

The kind of bank accounts we are talking about are bog standard accounts with standard debit cards, no loans or overdraft.How can they end up with “bad credit “and effect the unemployment.

I didn’t say it would effect unemployment - I said what is an already high employment rated Country.
DSB.

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:56 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-08
bealerDSB - 09 February 2010 04:10 PM

Mac

I would like to think so, otherwise ‘the bad ones’ will end up regurgitating more bad credit into an already high unemployment Country :(

DSB.

What a silly answer, I run a very succesful business and will be employing several spanish people so really don’t see how that is going to do anything but help the local economy.

You really are quite naive

Posted: 09 February 2010 05:08 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-03
johndb - 09 February 2010 04:56 PM
bealerDSB - 09 February 2010 04:10 PM

Mac

DSB.

What a silly answer, I run a very succesful business and will be employing several spanish people so really don’t see how that is going to do anything but help the local economy.

You really are quite naive

My comment about good credit holders vS bad credit holders vS high unemployment in Spain had no correlation whatsoever with each other, other than the Countries Employment Status and the Post in Question.

I am so naive, then forgive me.

You say you run a “very successful business” ??
Yet in another Forum under the same user name you mention :-

[QUOTE=johndb;8322801]Hi

I have recently moved to Spain from the UK. The problem is that I have a very bad credit history back in the UK which I am still trying to sort out. I am worried that this will stop me from being able to open a spanish bank account which would be a nightmare.

Can any of you tell me if a spanish bank will be able to credit check me in the uk? and if so whether this will prevent me from being able to get an account?

Any help would be greatfully recieved, thanks![QUOTE=johndb;8322801]

In closing, I think you believe we ‘are naive here’, but in my case I’m certainly not.
DSB.

Posted: 10 February 2010 12:23 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Woah, ZING! haha! That’ll learn ya for calling other people names John.

I was not credit checked when I opened an account five years ago. Most certainly. If you have an NIE and get a residents account that might be a different story of course, but they (99% sure) won’t check credit outside of Spain itself. If there’s a Euro-wide credit agency that I’m not aware of, someone give me a link.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

‹‹ Laptop repairs      Bank accounts ››