The Low Down
Posted: 06 May 2010 09:11 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-05

Thinking of moving to Malaga, but not sure on which area….Marbella?
What’s it like to live in Marbella…warts an all please?

or can you guys recommend an area I may have not considered?

Cheers

Posted: 07 May 2010 01:22 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi,

Malaga is a big place and there are many nice towns and villages in and around the area. Marbella is ok, a fairly big town with lots of business’s, shops, bars and great beaches. I do know that it is fairly expensive there for renting, well more so than inland. I take it you wanted to be near the sea? There are lots of lovely places inland, such as Monda, Coin or Guaro. But all depends what you are looking for really.

Good luck with it all 😊

Fruity

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 07 May 2010 03:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Do you like Blackpool mixed with the East end of London.

If not try stickin a pin further a field.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 07 May 2010 04:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

Marbella is a strange, unreal place full of foreigners and people who’ve had plastic surgery.  Consider Malaga City itself.  Much underrated in my opinion, the old town has a great atmosphere, excellent bars, lots of art.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 May 2010 08:03 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Marbella is a place for the type of people who have earned more than the average hairdresser, but not enough for Monaco or the South of France, so they take their cheap Ferrari’s to Puerto Banus and show off in front of peeps on their budget airline holiday/stag trip.

There are some strange peeps for sure, usually over 50, no sense of taste, too much tan, make up overload, chasing younger people, thats just the men, the women mostly Pamela Anderson types in their 60’s with the largest jewels money or good taste wouldn’t buy.

Obviously a huge stereo typical comment from my bigotted small brain, but I’m known for it and its expected.

There are a few normal expats as well, they are easily spotted.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 07 May 2010 08:34 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Marbella sounds great actually. I’m not sure if I’d want to live there (unless I rolled in cheap Ferraris) but I was just looking at it from Google’s satellite view recently and it looks sweet. Russian Pam Anderson types in their 20s will do nicely thank you very much. :D

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 07 May 2010 08:48 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2008-03-05

Santi, you have it down to a tee,well done..

Posted: 07 May 2010 10:55 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

do you rember spain in the 80s 90s when a drink cost not alot , 100,000s off people where holidaying , you got bus every where airport to hotel and back , people where nice then , every bar supermaket was packed , eat out didnt cost arm and a leg , ( only have 2 of each )  every one was making money two keep them there . Puerto Jos? Ban?s, more commonly known as Puerto Ban?s is a marina in Marbella, Spain on the Costa del Sol. It was built in 1970 by Jos? Ban?s, a local property developer, as a luxury marina and shopping complex for the jet-set and the super rich. (Not any more ) the ryanair off spain for English cheap people Ha ha ha . where Rolls-Royces and Ferraris meet yachts .
Marbella important beach resorts of the Costa del Sol. The town is famous for being a playground for the rich and famous. Marbella is famed as an exclusive destination for wealthy tourists from Northern Europe, as well as the well-heeled from the UK, Ireland and Germany.

Santi you have to a T

jurdy

Posted: 09 May 2010 02:46 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-04-29

Amusing and as close to the truth as some of these comments are, Marbella and the surrounding area has plenty to offer.
Banus, however, is a step too far and is getting tackier by the day.
San Pedro just down the road is a lovely Spanish town, presently blighted by the work on a bypass tunnel.
Estepona is also worth exploring with an interesting old town and marina, and good nightlife.
There are stacks of beach bars all along this area, some of which are really quite special at times.
Inland, there are countless towns to explore.
It will never match the sophistication of the South of France but it can get close sometimes if you take some time to dig below the surface impressions.
In the end, it all depends on what you’re looking for.