Australian Moving to Spain with Spanish partner
Posted: 08 April 2008 08:57 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-04-08

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum, so i thought i’d start with the issue of getting a visa.

My girlfriend is Spanish we have no intention of getting married but every intention of staying together. Can I get a visa this way. I know in Australia and I think also in the UK there is a de facto visa that basically means it doesn’t matter whether or not your are married, if the relationship is real you shpuld be able to obtain a visa and permission to stay and work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: 12 April 2008 01:37 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Really? Never heard of that one. Got a link to more info on this Aussie/UK visa that you’re referring to?

The best thing you can do is get a work visa, a retirement/investment/nonlucrative visa or get yourself autonomo.

That is, if you’re SURE you don’t want to marry her.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 14 April 2008 05:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ve never heard of that one, either. If only it were that simple 😊

Good luck

Paul

Posted: 15 April 2008 09:20 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

here’s some info for those wanting to come to australia…

http://www.globalvisas.com/australia_visas/australia_de_facto.html

so i’ve just spoken to the spanish consulate in melbourne and apparently there is new legislation in spain which allows unmarried couples (one of which is spanish one which isn’t) to register the relationship in spain and in the country from which you are applying and then go for a reunification visa.

it’s only new legisltaion, and the lady here hasn’t actually approved one yet.

Posted: 03 July 2008 05:12 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-07-03

Hi guys,

Firstly to the origional post, mate im in the same boat, and have just returned from spain after a 7 month stint on a 3 month tourist visa (not advisable as yes i did get fined on exit) but as there were no other options for me to live in spain with my girlfriend the 150 euros was worth it. however one of the reponses mention spain having developed a new visa.. ill be looking into that first thing in the morning.

For the next post below is a link for info about the defacto visa, and also a prospective marriage visa two good options for bringing a non aussie into the country. They are quite obtainable if you indeed are an australian in a long term relationship with a non australian. (12 months with evidence) The only draw back is they are quite pricey. (around AU$1500 plus translation of various things.) i have done extensive research into both of these options, as I am also in a long term relationship with a spanish girl and am currently trying to get her over here with a visa that will alow her to work and study. A friend of mine went through the defacto process and informed me that aslong as you can prove youve been together and plan to stay together all they really want is you application money theirs was aproved no problems.

Defacto visa
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/spouse/309-100/index.htm

Porspective marriage visa
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/prospective/300/index.htm

Stay intouch and please share any information you come across as it is hard to find. Good luck

Posted: 05 July 2008 11:52 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05
Glenray - 03 July 2008 05:12 PM

Hi guys,

Firstly to the origional post, mate im in the same boat, and have just returned from spain after a 7 month stint on a 3 month tourist visa (not advisable as yes i did get fined on exit) but as there were no other options for me to live in spain with my girlfriend the 150 euros was worth it. however one of the reponses mention spain having developed a new visa.. ill be looking into that first thing in the morning.

You got busted for overstaying your visa? If so I have a few questions for you! (like it was only a 150? fine???)

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 06 July 2008 08:14 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-07-03

yes i gut busted overstaying my visa…. twice infact, (once exiting spain to morocco, and then again exiting europe from helsinki… it seems theres a whole lot of misleading information around the forums, and form this i was convinced that i would be ok, but in the end… no…. and i dont know what the future will hold when i try to return… again theres a whole bunch of misleading information that leads me to think ill have no troubles whatsoever, then again, other information tells me ill have alot of truoble getting back into europe now im on the record as an offender…. after my experience, i would do things alot differently next time, not being aloud in my own damn world is a frustrating experience, however i still count my blessing as its not as frustrating as for some…

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:29 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-04-08

so Glenray,

how about if you stay in spain for 3 months, then go to morroco for say 1 week and then return to spain - can you get another 3 months visa crossing back to spain?

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:57 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2008-07-03

in short… no… you must stay in morocco for 3 months (or anywhere out of europe) for aminimum of 3 months before you can legally enter spain (or europe). your allowed 90 days in every 180 inside the shengen zone. If youve overstayed in spain, they will let you out, but wont give you a stamp.. you have to get a stamp in morocco when you get off the ferry. If you try to get back into spain again within the 3 months that your supposed to be out ((if youve used your 3 month tourist visa inside spain) then by rights they shouldnt let you back in. However i did exactly this, and they let me back in. However the wont issue you a new stamp (unless your lucky and they dodnt notice your other entry stamp) and it is way easier to get back into spain through Melilla (a spanish town in the north east off marocco) its a long ferry back, but less visa hassles.

Posted: 27 May 2009 03:38 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

There was a post titled “us residents” where someone answered the question about the de-facto visa for Spain.  The person said that you have to have lived together for at least two years and be able to prove it through utility bills etc. The person said it’s a big hassle… although it seems like there’s a hassle no matter which route you take..

Posted: 12 August 2010 08:29 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-12

I have to say that I really feel your pain (everyone who has posted on this topic). I just recently fell in love with a Spanish guy and I’m off to Spain for the 70 days remaining on my 90-day limit hoping to find a job there so we can be together.  I am wondering if it’s possible to just get married - does anyone know what happens then. Is it possible to marry a Spanish person and then apply for residency or something along those lines.

It seems that it is possible to apply for a defacto visa in Australia that leads to residency but I can’t find any information about getting residency in Spain if you get married. Does anyone know anything about this?