Banking in Spain for USA citizen
Posted: 18 June 2010 09:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-06-18

First of all I am from Pittsburgh,Pa, USA,  retired & need some info on Spanish banking laws.

I have children who live in Madrid and are official residents NOT Spanish nationals, and they have local bank accounts.

I would like to send via my bank money transfers to their accounts I have been told that I need a SWIFT ID and the number of each bank account.  That is OK and I have all that info.

My question is, ? How much can I send before it is reported to Hacienda as additional income. ?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Posted: 18 June 2010 09:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Hmm, good question. I don’t have the facts handy but I believe it’s around 10,000 EUR per transaction. Less than that and I don’t think it matters how much you send to their account - as long as the transaction size is smaller than the 10k.

Anyone else know about this?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 18 June 2010 10:12 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-18

OK thanks for the info.  I pretty sure my kids are with Santander, BBV and Popular.

I lived ther 27 years till divorced but will return in Oct for a visit then on to the
Octoberfest in Munchen.

Prost

Posted: 21 June 2010 03:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2009-06-03
enigma1944 - 18 June 2010 09:37 PM

First of all I am from Pittsburgh,Pa, USA,  retired & need some info on Spanish banking laws.

I have children who live in Madrid and are official residents NOT Spanish nationals, and they have local bank accounts.

I would like to send via my bank money transfers to their accounts I have been told that I need a SWIFT ID and the number of each bank account.  That is OK and I have all that info.

My question is, ? How much can I send before it is reported to Hacienda as additional income. ?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

With the CAM Bank, online, a bit of searching and you will find both the Swift# and IBAN#.
You need the above plus full name of receiving account holder.  Costs me $40 from the East coast to Spain.
DSB.

Posted: 21 August 2010 04:24 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-02-08

If you want to send money on a regular basis, cheap,
I use   XOOM.com
They charge veru little and the money is in the Spanish
bank account in 2 days.
The exchange rate is very comparable to anyone else.
But they have a limit of $2900 every 15 days or so
Good luck with this

Posted: 22 August 2010 01:14 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-06-18
Caddy - 21 August 2010 04:24 AM

If you want to send money on a regular basis, cheap,
I use   XOOM.com
They charge veru little and the money is in the Spanish
bank account in 2 days.
The exchange rate is very comparable to anyone else.
But they have a limit of $2900 every 15 days or so
Good luck with this

Thank you

I will look into that website

‹‹ tax on renting a property      sale contract ››